Chapter 11: Phantoms in the Paradise

≪•◦ ❈ ◦•≫

"If we live, we live for the Lord; and if we die, we die for the Lord. So, whether we live or die, we belong to the Lord." —Romans 14:8

≪•◦ ❈ ◦•≫

THE SUN was starting to hide from the sky, the breeze of the air was cooling, the leaves hanging on the branches of the trees planted around to produce shades were dancing with the wind, and there was her servant, Emily, trying to scare her with her story and her way of speaking—which failed. She was not someone who gets easily scared at things like myths, especially with spirits since she lived a life like a human grim reaper in the past. How could she be scared if she was the one who took tainted souls in the past?

"Enough with the exaggerated tone, Emily. You're making it look like a funny story to me instead of something horrifying."

Her servant awkwardly glanced at her before she faked a cough and started telling the story in her normal voice.

"Well, there was a scary myth I heard from the other servants, my lady. They said that recently, an unusually tall lady with extremely pale skin and long white hair reaching the floor is always seen in the middle of the forest, waving her thin hands weakly as if she was welcoming the people," Emily said as she focused her eyes in front.

Lantana listened carefully, hoping Emily's story would soothe her boredom.

"Usually, people would see her with her hair covering her face, that's why they would immediately stop what they are doing and immediately dash off in terror upon discovering that the myth wasn't just a myth but some said, a few groups of people were able to see her and they said that she was very pretty! Just that... After they tried to hold her hands, their touch passed through her body." Emily acted extremely spooked after speaking as her expression crumpled and complexion changed while shaking her head.

"Is she prettier than me?" Lantana said while laughing.

"No! Definitely not, my lady, although I haven't seen her myself! There is no one in the world who can rival your beauty, my lady!"

Lantana chuckled upon hearing her servant's defensive reply to her but smiled a little in the end because of her flattery and interesting words. Of course there would absolutely be no one who could rival the face that she had right now. She didn't think anyone could still compete with her perfect face, as if favored by the god of her current world.

Nevertheless, she didn't really find the story spooky. She was more intrigued with it but she was not scared at all. Instead, she was curious as to why people who go there would see someone inside that forest, specifically, a lone girl, who cannot be touched.

The Blue Mountain Forest was a property of the Montgomery duchy. It was behind the duke's mansion and it was under Penelope's name, something that she got when she was twelve. It had shortcut routes that could make travelling outside the estates happen faster. That was the reason why the other servants used it since it was because of its convenience as it was not entirely closed to people, just restricted to people that were not to the duke's people. But, how could the servants find someone there who is not from the duchy? Staying there even. There were not many resources in it so how could that woman that Emily was talking about live and be seen by people from different ages?