Chapter 21: Death, Please Knock & Take Her

≪•◦ ❈ ◦•≫

"For everything there is a season, and a time for every matter under heaven: a time to be born, and a time to die." -Ecclesiastes 3:1-2

≪•◦ ❈ ◦•≫

IT WAS in the middle of the night where stars and the moon were hiding, the darkness was blinding and the silence was deafening at the whole mansion. That was how a person who suddenly woke up in her room would hear. However, that wasn't the case for Lantana.

A few hours after her tossing and turning around to sleep, she was finally able to do so. She was able to rest for a while until she suddenly felt a strong impact on her forehead that made her crumple her face in annoyance and in pain.

"Who the heck is disturbing my hard-earned sleep?!" she mumbled loudly as she readied her fists to punch as if a gangster ready to fight at any moment.

However, Lantana was immediately silenced as soon as she decided to open her eyes. Almost blinded by the light of the place she was in while her ears were being filled with mellow music and loud gossiping noise, her forehead creased in confusion. That remained until she was able to finally see.

When her eyes were finally able to adjust to the light in front of her, her mouth draped and couldn't believe where she was. It was a hall where a lively celebration was happening! Everyone was eating, drinking, talking, and dancing!

Confused, Lantana tried to ask one of the servers that passed by her. However, just as she was about to raise her hand and call his attention, he suddenly went into her direction as someone called for him, and in a spur of the moment, he passed by her body as if she wasn't there at all!

Because of the sudden thing that she experienced from the previous server, she got more confused. Fortunately, when she tried to look around the whole place, she suddenly saw herself-the old one to be exact-who looked like was trying to find someone around. Behind her was a tall man whose back was the only thing that she had seen.

As she had seen Penelope, she immediately understood her situation. It was a dream that the deceased girl experienced in person-a part of her foggy memory from that night when she starved herself to wear an unclassy dress.

Suddenly, Lantana's interest was piqued. She wasn't clear about the memory of that night yet. She obtained most of Penelope's memory when she first woke up in her new world but soon realized that there was still an incomplete part-that the party's memory was still vague as if a bittersweet kiss of an old lover whose face was forgotten in time.

Lantana, who wanted to satisfy her curiosity, followed the dead Penelope behind as she walked around, as if searching for something. Then, while she was searching, a woman with thick red lipstick and bushy eyebrows together with her lackeys, appeared in front of the startled Penelope.

"I'm sorry. Can you please let me pass?" Penelope asked the leader of the group while cowering her head as if there was something she was afraid of.

The group who blocked the way of Penelope laughed exaggeratedly while they looked down on her as if they were seeing an unpleasant sight.

Lantana, who was watching the happenings, wanted to slap the three girls and beat them up to pulp upon seeing how they treated Penelope but she couldn't. Instead, she had no choice but to watch in silence.

"Hey! You're looking for your fiancé, right? I saw him go upstairs earlier. Do you want to go?" the leader of the girls said to her.

With a look on her face, Lantana immediately knew that something was off with the way the leader easily said something. From Penelope's memory, the girl was always someone who bullied her, so why would she suddenly speak to her and tell her where her fiancé was?