Chapter 27: Devious Smile of An Angelic Mask

≪•◦ ❈ ◦•≫

"By justice a king gives a country stability, but those who are greedy for bribes tear it down." —Proverbs 29:4

≪•◦ ❈ ◦•≫

THE GASPING of everyone back then was heard reverberating in the whole hall continuously as in each magic stone, there would be something to react to, especially when Hubert Floyen's infidelity to Lantana with Mistica Uros, and the illegal actions of their families were shown. The voices, the careless words, the actions taken—everything was scandalous.

The people of the society used to flock to the cheating couple back then. Even when the position of Lantana was higher, just because they were better storytellers, the old Penelope would be outcasted like an ignored, unwanted toy.

Lantana couldn't really blame them who sided with the cheating couple that much. They themselves were deceived. That was why, in order to get back at them, it would be better to slap the real truth on their faces using their same methods.

After the duke spoke, not once did the magical symbol hurt him. With that, the emperor's resolve immediately strengthened.

"Get the traitors family here this instant!" the emperor commanded angrily.

Usually, in every hearing that happened in Leontios, the two sides would be heard normally before a conclusion would be made. They would be treated fairly, just like in all other places. But that was not the case at that time. The entire families of Floyen and Uros were dragged like the worst criminals in front of the emperor while all of the spectating nobles were full of tension, waiting for something to satisfy their greed for entertainment—even if that greed was equal to two families meeting their doom.

"Y-Your majesty, may we ask what is this all about?" pale as snow, the patriarch of the House Floyen asked while being held and pushed back on his knees by two imperial knights.

Behind the patriarch were the rest of his family and the Uros family who were also looking completely dumbfounded at the event that was happening before their eyes. If confusion was a person, it would be personified in their faces.

"You still have the guts to speak? You knew someone else's child died before her father even knew it yet you didn't even know that your family committed treason by trying to kill one of my vassal's daughter who held the highest authority in this empire after me? You had the guts to ask about this? How come you didn't even ask about your child's act of infidelity? You do know that every marriage here in our empire is sacred and greatly valued just as it is written in the sacred text! Betrothal is on an equivalent weight as marriage. We do not take it lightly! Not only that, your illegal activities behind the empire's back, don't you think they are yet exposed? Acquiring your own army without even submitting a report to the office... Your murderous plan—everything was already brought to light. None of you deserve your titles. It's only righteous to strip it off and grant it to the people who really deserve it..." the emperor exclaimed in a tone filled with disgust as his eyes glanced over the two families with deprecation.

An uncomfortable silence filled the place again as soon as the emperor stopped speaking. After a few minutes passed by eerily, the eldest mage decided to take the initiative again.

"Do any of you have anything else to say? Speak now. Whatever you say could either make your punishment lighter or harsher. Every word you will speak of will be used against you so think carefully," the mage said sternly as he saw the teary faces of the women of both families.