Chapter 23: A Father's Wrath

≪•◦ ❈ ◦•≫

"Many are the plans in the mind of a man, but it is the purpose of the Lord that will stand." -Proverbs 19:21

≪•◦ ❈ ◦•≫

AS SOON as the duke finished his discussion with his daughter, he made sure to have everything done as fast as possible.

He did not like it to have his precious daughter's name still tangled to such a worthless man.

So, though it was already late in the evening, he finished all that was needed to be done. He personally wrote a letter stating that the engagement between his daughter and the count's son could not be made possible anymore.

After finishing the letter for engagement nullification, he expressed a sinister smile and continued to proceed to another letter that would make his anger towards those who hurt his daughter appease a little.

How dare they hurt his precious daughter? Were they even prepared to face the consequences of angering him?

While he was busy preparing things, the duke did not forget to order his shadow guard, who was knowledgeable in magic.

"Citrone," the duke uttered.

Just after a few seconds passed by, a figure wearing black clothes suddenly appeared inside the room, bowing in front of the duke who was standing in front of his office table.

"I want you and your subordinates to go to the houses of Floyen and Uros. Monitor all of the family members' movements for a week, especially the second son of Count Floyen, Hubert Floyen, and the daughter of Countess Uros, Mistica Uros. Capture everything that could be used as evidence of their cheating. Search also for any of the families' activities under the table that could make them lose their titles. I want everything captured in great detail," the duke stated with burning anger inside his eyes.

The shadow guard nodded this head respectfully. He dared not to raise his head unless he was already told to.

'It looks like the duke is going to crush some rats again. Just, how could those people not use their head? Were they simply brave or foolish who put their brain on their toes?' Citrone thought.

"Raise your head," the duke said, so he did.

As soon as Citrone raised his head, the only part of his body which was uncovered was revealed. His pair of gold eyes always exuded a cold feeling to anyone who met it but at that time, they were filled with devotion and awe towards the duke.

Citrone Aureus was a twenty-five-year-old man who was good at controlling magic since he was young. Though he was only able to reach four magic circles compared to his father who reached five, his magic control was good and so was his physique which helped in making his magic more powerful and useful.

He was able to join the Montgomery shadow guards as early as seventeen but that wasn't the age he first entered the house since his father also worked for the duke as one of his magicians when he was still alive. Whenever there was a chance, he would tag along with his father. Because of that, he was able to visit the mansion a few times when he was younger so it could be said that he was one of the people who watched the young miss grow up.

As a result of his father's loyalty to the duke's family, he was greatly influenced. When he reached his teenage years where his love for the family grew even stronger, he was already seventeen, and was able to try the test in the underground for shadow guards. Fortunately, he was accepted.