Chapter 19: Prayer of the Knight

≪•◦ ❈ ◦•≫

"But if we hope for what we do not see, we wait for it with patience." —Romans 8:25

≪•◦ ❈ ◦•≫

“HEY! YOU have to win! How could you let yourself be defeated easily when it was I who picked you?” Lantana said loudly which made a lot of knights glance at her direction.

Even the duke was surprised that his daughter could cheer someone like that to the point where he didn’t immediately notice how his lips made a teasing curve though in the end he didn’t let it be seen by his child.

Siegrain, after he heard what Lantana suddenly shouted, he didn’t know why but he suddenly had the urge to smile at her and to win the battle for her.

Filled with the burning desire to not make the person who chose him disappointed, Siegrain chose to gamble with his mana. With a humble smile on his lips, he suddenly ran as far as he could away from the captain.

The sudden action of Siegrain confused many people including Lantana who was losing her hope in having a handsome personal knight.

However, losing wasn’t something that Siegrain was planning to do at that moment. How could he lose if there was someone as pretty as the lady who was wishing for him to win?

When the distance was far enough for him, Siegrain smirked as he dashed towards the direction of the captain who was startled at the expression on his face—he had a look as if he was enjoying the fight.

Siegrain took the chance that was given to him and while he was dashing, he forcefully placed his mana to come out on his hands to let it all flow on his sword.

But he was having a hard time. The only thing that he really knew about mana came from the academy where he studied. And although he was a top student back then, he didn’t really know much yet for after he graduated, what he prioritized was to find a job to support himself and his brother who needed extra care.

He lacked the actual experience.

Desperate, he uttered a prayer in his mind.

Please. Let me reach it. Let me reach the highest peak. I need it to win. Right now, I need it so that I won’t disappoint the expectation placed on my shoulders. Please, God—Adonai, listen to my prayer.

Suddenly, Siegrain felt as if something cracked inside him as the slow flow of his mana took a wild turn. As if a surging river in the wild, Siegrain’s mana flowed out of his body violently as more of it covered his sword and made a violent bright light. Soon enough, more mana gushed out of his body that made his body suddenly feel a lot of pain. However, Siegrain did not let it stop his legs from running nor did he let it stop his continued reckless use of mana until his white mana slowly became mixed in a blue light that looked as if flame, burning with the same compassion that its owner had.

Everyone was too shocked at the sudden turn. They couldn’t believe how fast the rookie knight grew. Some even rubbed their eyes to see if what they were witnessing was real. Unfortunately, the blue light enveloped around Siegrain’s silver blade was still there and becoming more and more ferocious as seconds passed by.

However, Lantana was more like a kid amazed at a simple magic trick. Her eyes twinkled in delight when she saw the light around his blade changed. It seemed foreign and interesting for someone like her who was from another world. The moment she saw the knight’s blade turned blue, she immediately felt that his power increased ten times higher than it was before. At that moment, she felt that the knight’s power was already on par with the captain though it felt a little clumsy. And that sudden plot twist was definitely in favor of Lantana.