Chapter 5 ~ About Last Night

Daylight trickles past the curtains with an obnoxious ray warming my face. It's a rude awakening after a night of drinking, and my breath tastes stale as I twist in the sheets.

Holy crap, I'm naked.

Noises in the kitchen suggest I'm not alone, but those noises become louder from whoever is moving towards the bedroom. Last night is hazy, so I have no clue who is in my apartment. Wrapping the sheets around me, I spring from the bed and bolt for the door.

That's when I see Moses.

"Hey, you're awa—"

But I don't let him finish his sentence because I shut the door in his face with a scream.

"What are you doing here!?"

"Um, I brought you home, remember?" he says through the wood separating us, and I wrap the sheet tighter around me.

"No, I do not remember. Did we have sex?"

"No, I'm not into sleeping with incoherent drunk women," he laughs. "Besides, you puked on your dress, and vomit isn't my kind of kink."

"I puked?" My eyes widen. No wonder my mouth tastes like trash. "Is that why you brought me home?"

"No. You got into a fight with Julian and stormed out of the club, so I went after you."

"I don't remember that..." I rub my forehead.

"You guys fought over some girl named Valentina."

With my hand pressed against the door, I search my memory, and there's the vaguest pulse of me shouting at Julian. Taking a chance, I open the door a crack and peek at Moses. He instantly smiles and nods to the mug in his hand. The faintest dimple appears on his left cheek, and I recollect poking it last night while telling him how cute it is.

"I figured you'd want coffee." he offers the mug, so I open the door wider to receive it.

Our fingers brush in the exchange, sending a ripple of recognition as I experience a memory of holding his hand in the Uber.

"Thanks. Um... so... we really didn't have sex?"

"No," he chuckles. "You were pretty wasted and stripped off your dress after puking on it. Then you wanted to hop in the shower but could barely stand upright, so despite your protesting, I helped you wash up and then got you to bed."

"And that's it?"

"You passed out as soon as I tucked you into the blankets."

"You saw me naked," I whisper and hide my body behind the door.

"Don't take this the wrong way, but I've been a nurse for five years, so seeing someone naked is as normal as seeing someone fully clothed at this point. It doesn't phase me."

"I see."

"But for the record..." He leans in and rolls his gaze over me. "I didn't mind the view."

"I should get dressed." I close the door before he sees me turn into a puddle of mush.

Part of me is tempted to drop the bedsheet and throw myself at him.

But I lack the nerve.

∆∆∆

By the time I'm showered and dressed, I'm thinking Moses will be gone, except as I walk into the living room, he's in the kitchen cooking eggs and what smells like chorizo. He reaches into one of the cabinets and sifts through the spices before picking one. Then, he opens a drawer, grabs a spatula, and shuts it with his hip.