Chapter 23 ~ No Means No

After a congested drive across town, the Uber driver drops me off in front of Bruno's. The enormous white sign glows against the slick pavement from the brief drizzle that kissed the city, and fog escapes my mouth upon exhale. It’s been a long week, and it isn’t until I hear the rhythmic beats spilling out from the bar that I realize how badly I need this. The last time I had fun was the night at Casanova, where I got drunk, danced, and made out with Moses. 

The music swallows me as soon as I enter the fog-filled space where sweaty people jive to jams the DJ cranks out. I search beyond the flickering laser lights for Julian and Sofia and spot them by the pool tables. The two love to show off and have tag teamed against the other guys in the group. They're in the middle of a high-five when I sidle up next to them.

"Hey."

"Hey, hey!" Julian curls his arm around me and kisses my cheek. "Grab a beer."

"We bought a pitcher." Sofia points to it. "Help yourself, just make sure to buy another round if you pour the last pint."

"Go it." I wink and get comfortable on the leather couch against the wall.

For the next few minutes, I watch Julian and Sofia win their round of pool and shamelessly brag about it. They reset the table, but Sofia decides to join me on the couch and have a chat.

"So, Noah." She grins. "I need your help with getting his number from Moses."

"He made an impression on you, huh?"

"His kissing!" she gushes, a hand to her chest. "It was seriously mind-blowing. Like, an orgasm in my mouth good."

"If you say so," I laugh.

"Oh, come on. I bet Moses makes your toes curl!" She smacks my leg.

"We have a good time." I grin.

"See, I knew it!"

"Corner pocket," Julian calls out, his face serious as he lines the pool cue to take his shot, but Sofia turns to poke his butt, causing him to miss. "Damn it, Sof!"

"What?" She shrugs. "You had something in your pants."

"Lies!"

"Anyway..." Sofia dramatically rolls her eyes, does a hair toss, and turns back to me. "Moses is coming tonight, right?"

"Yes." I glance at my watch. "He should be getting off work in the next few minutes."

"Good. Then I can harass him about his brother."

About forty-five minutes pass as the guys play pool, Sofia talks my ear off, and I take slow sips of beer. The billiard section of the bar is crowded, with players having to dodge pool cues as people aim. There's a haze floating over from the fog machine from the dancing area. It mingles with the red billiard lights and makes everything look like Mars. Julian comes up to us and pours the last drop of beer, then frowns.

"Damn, this means I have to buy another round, but I'm on fire tonight." He glances at the pool table.

"I'll go."

"You will?" He jerks his attention to me, his eyes wide and bright.

"Sure. I'm sitting here doing nothing. Might as well."

"You angel." He takes my face in his hands and plants a kiss on each of my cheeks, causing me to chuckle. "Have I told you lately that I love your stinking guts?"

"Cash." I roll my eyes, smiling, and hold out my hand.

"Oh, right." Julian removes his wallet and hands me forty bucks. "That should cover the pitcher of beer, plus the tip."