Chapter 13 ~ Liar Liar

It’s on the way home when I demand we take a detour to Redding. There are still a few boxes we need to dig through at the storage shed, and if Linda called my father about me visiting her, we need to do this now before he gets rid of anything.

Thankfully, when we arrive, nothing has been disturbed since Julian, and I were last here. With Moses’s help, we rifle through boxes for items that might be of use, but only two appear to have promise, so we toss them into the back of the car. 

“So what now?” Julian asks.

“We go home, and I comb through whatever is in these boxes.” My eyes drift over to Moses, and he’s inside the shed taking photos. “What are you doing?”

“If your dad decides to get rid of all this stuff, we have proof it was here before. Like this furniture, you said, burned in the fire.”

“That’s not a bad idea,” Julian says. “Guess your boyfriend is good for something.”

“I heard that,” Moses says but continues snapping photos.

“Speaking of photos.” Julian rubs the back of his head. “Jerry wanted me to remind you that we have a wedding to shoot next weekend, so you better be done with the flu.”

“Right.” I grin and fake a cough. “I’ve been calling in sick to work.”

“Yeah, I noticed. I’ve been doing all the annoying family portraits on my own.”

“Sorry.”

“It’s whatever. You’ve got some dramatic shit going on with your dad. You can play sick all you want.”

Right then, my phone beeps, so I dig into my pocket for it. The screen glows with a text message from my father, asking if I’m available to spend a day with him and talk about things, so I hold it out to Julian.

“Tell him you’re busy with work, but this weekend you’re free,” he says.

“I… I don’t feel safe being alone with him anymore.”

“You won’t be alone. Me and your man-candy will keep a close watch.”

“What’s going on?” Moses approaches, his hand going to the small of my back. 

“My dad wants to have a father-daughter day with me.” I show him the text.

“Seems a little sus. I wouldn’t be surprised if he’s talked to Linda, and now he’s keeping tabs. Blow him off. Tell him you’re busy.”

“No, she can’t blow him off,” Julian objects.

“Yes, she can. He put his damn hands on her. She has every right to tell him to fuck off!” Moses barks.

“Listen, asshole, you’re not the only one pist off about that,” Julian fires back.

“Oh, my God!” I hold my arms out between them. “Can the two of you not behave like King Kong all the time? Because it would be great if my boyfriend and best friend could get along.”

“Oh, so he’s your boyfriend now?” Julian smirks.

“We made it official this morning.” Moses moves his hands to my shoulders and kisses my temple. It’s subtle but sends the message I am his. 

“So happy for you.” Julian rolls his eyes. “Anyway, we should probably get out of here because I think your new boyfriend is right. I think your dear old pops is feeling you out.”

“We should drive by his house. See if he’s there. If he wants to keep tabs on Valerie, well, we can play that game too,” Moses suggests.

“Good idea.” I nod and tap out a reply to my dad that I’m free on Saturday. “And I think Julian is right too. I should meet with my dad and put an end to this. I’m going to ask him flat out about everything.”