Chapter 17 ~ Jerry's Insight

The overhead lights in the editing room cast onto the large oak table covered in scattered photos of faces staring back at me. Some are parents posing with their kids and family pets, while others are of newly engaged couples, but my favorite is the collection of photos from a maternity shoot. 

The mother-to-be is barefoot in a red, gauzy dress, her toes in the sand on Baker Beach as the sun sets over the Golden Gate Bridge behind her. Rays of fading daylight shine through her brunette hair, fluttering in the wind. But the light also seeps through her red dress, creating the perfect outline of her very pregnant belly.

The woman is beautiful as pride for her unborn child radiates across her face while caressing her belly. 

For some reason, it makes me think of Amelia Moreno. I wonder if she looked this stunning while pregnant with Valentina? It must have been soul-crushing to discover that her firstborn child was missing.

That I was missing.

“I like these…” Jerry says, isolating the photographs he thinks are best. “Just look at the dog’s smile. The dog is actually smiling! That’s one hell of a shot.”

“It is pretty good,” I laugh because the black and brown Rottweiler’s mouth is wide open as if he’s grinning, even though he’s probably just panting. 

“Create a package for these, and have Winnie set up an appointment for the Kennedy family to review them.”

“Got it.”

“And I like these…” He adjusts the thick-framed glasses he always uses to study photos. “But they aren’t as sharp. For a shot like this, we want her gorgeous ring to shine, but instead, it’s fuzzy.”

“I see…” I squint because it looks fine to me.

“Do you?” Jerry cuts his gaze towards me. “Our clients pay us more because we don’t use digital. We give them the old school treatment where we shoot with actual film and develop them by hand. Our photos are richer and more elegant because of it. If you can’t see how that ring is clearly out of focus, then I don’t know what I’m paying you for!”

“Wow.” My eyes widen because after the weekend I've had, the last thing I need is for Jerry to go off on me. 

“I understand that you’ve been sick, but that doesn’t mean it’s ok to slack off while working with clients. They don’t deserve a photographer half-assing a special day for them.”

“Jerry.” I pinch the bridge of my nose and close my eyes. “I am not a slacker. I’ve just been dealing with some extraordinary things lately.”

“You Gen Zers really think everything is a crisis,” he snorts.

“I’m not being dramatic. I’ve been arguing with my dad about some serious stuff, ok?”

“Yeah, well, that doesn’t surprise me,” he sighs and groups a few photos from the engagement shoot. So I study him while gnawing at the dry skin on my lip.

“The other day, you said my dad has always been a prick. Why?”

“He was just always a self-centered asshole,” Jerry snorts. “One of those guys who does whatever he wants and doesn’t give a shit what anyone thinks because we’re all living in his world. Know what I mean?”

“Not really. To me, he’s always been sweet and caring. Selfless.” 

“Yeah, well, Winnie would describe me the same way, except I used to be a bottom-of-the-barrel drug addict with zero morals or a conscience.”

“The key word is used to be.

“So, what’s up with your old man?” Jerry removes his glasses and leans his butt against the oak table with his palms resting on the edge. “What's he doing to get under your skin?”