Chapter 10 ~ Fear thy Father

There’s a different kind of warmth in the arms of the man you spent the night making love to. It’s not the same comfort as cuddling. The feeling is more profound. One that goes all the way into your marrow and radiates bliss from the inside out. 

If the sun lived in my chest, its rays would slip past my ribs and create golden bursts across the ceiling. 

And I’ve never been happier than laying here naked in Moses’s arms, my head nestled on his chest while drawing heart shapes into his flesh with my finger. He’s dead asleep, but I don’t mind because I like seeing the way his eyes shift under their lids. I hope he’s dreaming of me.

Moving from this position is criminal, but my bladder is screaming, so I roll away from him, and when I do, I see my dad standing in the bedroom doorway.

“Get dressed,” he says, his voice a husky rumble, and walks away. I forgot he has a spare key.

When I meet him in the living room, my father is leaning against the kitchen counter, arms folded, and with a steaming cup of coffee in hand. He looks like a TV ad with dark hair falling into his eyes and broad shoulders encapsulated by a red button-down flannel. Taking a deep breath, I cross over and sit at the breakfast bar. I’m not a little girl anymore, yet I still want to scrape my flesh from the shame of my dad knowing I have sex.

“You didn’t tell me you had a boyfriend,” my dad says. “A bit hypocritical, don’t you think?”

“He’s not… we’re not…” 

“I see.” My dad nods. “Yet you’re sharing a bed. Naked.”

“I’m old enough to have sex, you know.” 

“I’m aware. That doesn’t mean I like it. You’re still my little girl. Are you at least using protection?”

“Yes, of course.”

“And what about you, stud?” He shifts his attention to Moses, who has just emerged from the hallway. “How many women have you slept with in the last month.”

“Hi…” Moses pauses from pulling on his shirt, and his abs look even better in daylight. I try not to gawk. “Who are you?”

“I’m Angelo. Valerie’s dad,” he says through clenched teeth. 

“Oh, well, it’s a pleasure to meet you.” He crosses the room and settles behind me, his hands resting on my shoulders. “And to answer your question, it’s been months, so Valerie is the only woman I’ve slept with.”

“What’s the matter, stud, is your dick broken?”

“Dad!” I shout.

“Quiet, Valerie,” he reprimands and glares at Moses. “How old are you, twenty-five? All young men your age sleep around. You’re telling me you’re the exception?”

“I’m twenty-seven, and yes, I guess I am the exception. I’m a relationship kind of guy. I don’t sleep around.”

“Bullshit.” My dad sets the coffee cup down with a splash of brown liquid over the edge and approaches the breakfast bar, but Moses doesn’t stir. Instead, he massages circles into my shoulder blades with his thumbs. “My daughter doesn’t even know if you’re her boyfriend, yet you’re sleeping in her bed. That sounds like a playboy to me.”

“Dad, please stop,” I beg. 

“Sir, I am very fond of your daughter. I wouldn’t do anything to dishonor her. Last night was an emotional night, and things happened. No, we haven’t labeled what we are yet, but I’m not seeing anyone else, and I don’t plan to.”