Chapter 20 ~ The Morning After

The morning after my father’s arrest, I awake to the sound of a Telenovela blaring from the living room and the aroma of espresso coaxing me out of bed. I didn’t want to be alone last night, so I spent the night at Julian’s since I’m still ignoring Moses. 

A tattooed arm full of butterflies from wrist to elbow is draped over me, and I glance to the side at Julian’s sister, Sofia. She looks like an angel sleeping face down with her dark waves fanned across the pillow and the slightest smile painting her lips. Her dreams must be peaceful, unlike mine. However, Sofia is far from angelic since she loves terrorizing her parents by not wanting to get married or have kids, which is unheard of in Julian’s family. 

Most of their cousins married young and started popping out babies before their twenty-fifth birthdays. So, for Sofia to be twenty-one years old, and have zero desire for either of those things, makes her a rebel in her parent's eyes. Especially her mothers.

Trying not to wake her, I pluck Sofia’s tattooed arm off me. She stirs and mumbles something about bacon, and I have to stifle a giggle because there is drool on her pillow. Then, like a vampire awakening, her eyes pop open, and she bolts into a sitting position.

“Did we have sex?” She holds a hand to her chest.

“What? No,” I laugh.

“I mean, not that I’d be opposed since you’re such a babe, but I am strictly-dickly.”

“It’s ok, Sof. Nothing happened.” 

“Wait. Where am I?” She glances around the dim room, taking in the furniture and music posters of K-Pop bands.

“You’re at home. I slept over last night, and Julian said I could take your room. Then, around 3 AM, you stumbled in here drunk and collapsed next to me.”

“Oh… right.” 

“You didn’t drive home like that, right?”

“Of course not. I Uberd,” she yawns, and her stale booze breath wafts towards me. “I met a really hot guy last night.”

“Where?”

“Bruno’s. It was reggae night, and OMG!” She turns to me, the sheets swooshing with her movements. “He was an amazing kisser. Like caramel melting on my tongue.”

“That good, huh?”

“Yes! Except, we never exchanged numbers.” She frowns. “Ah, well. He’s probably just some fuck-boy anyway.”

“Please tell me you at least learned his name?”

“I did!” She grins. “His name was Noah, and you want to know the crazy thing? He was there with his brother named Moses. He said something about their parents liking biblical names.”

“Moses?” I squeak and bring a hand to my chest. “He was there?”

“Wait, you know him?”

“He’s my… well, he was my…”

“Oh, no, Val! I’m so sorry, but if it makes you feel better, he looked super miserable the entire time. Like, he was just sitting there, babysitting his drink and not talking to anyone.”

“We kind of broke up, I guess. I haven’t even told Julian because of everything happening with my dad.”

“So, does Moses know what happened yesterday?”

“No.” I shake my head.

“You should call him!” She nudges me. “He really did look miserable last night. I bet he misses you. Plus, I wouldn’t mind seeing Noah again.”