Chapter 19 ~ Stroll in The Park

It’s such a beautiful day for a disaster. The sky is powder blue, with the sun spreading warmth across tree-tops, as I tilt my head back, admiring how tranquil it must be way up there. Clouds have always appeared like cotton to me—a dense material, yet thin and can be pulled apart like string cheese. Yet, clouds are made of gas and can slip right through a person’s fingers. So, as I stand here as the FBI and Jerry go back and forth, I am like a cloud—present but almost invisible.

“So, let me get this straight…” Jerry runs a hand through his long, rocker hair as we stand in the garden of the photography studio. “You’re sending her to the wolves, and her only protection is some flimsy, wired surveillance device!?” 

“Sir, we’ve done operations like this many times.”

“Angelo is unstable!” Jerry makes his point with a wild wave of his arms. “He said he’s going to off himself. How do we know he doesn’t plan to kill her before taking care of himself?”

“Sir,” the FBI agent sighs. “We understand your concerns, but the team is highly skilled and has done this type of thing for longer than Valerie has been alive. She’s in good hands.”

“Mistakes happen!” Jerry insists.

“Yes, they do. However, we’ll have eyes on her at all times—”

“From a distance!”

“Yes, from a distance with sniper rifles and undercover agents who will be nearby. Not to mention, we’ll also be listening, and as soon as Valerie gives the signal, my unit will swoop in to arrest him. This will go fast. You have nothing to worry about.”

“I have every reason!” 

“Jerry.” I place my hand on his elbow and gaze up at him. “It’s ok. I’ve got this.”

“Yeah, she does!” Julian sneaks up and drapes his arm around my shoulder. “So, quit harassing the nice FBI lady, and let them do their job, Jerry.”

“Thanks,” I say to Julian with a quiver in my smile, so he faces me and stares directly into my eyes.

“Val, you’re doing the right thing. As much as I would love for Angelo to end up six feet underground and for you to inherit his money, I don’t want him to kill himself. Turning him in will result in justice for you and the Moreno family, but at the same time, save his life. That’s a good thing. You’ve got this.”

He engulfs me in a hug, but lets go when the FBI agent clears her throat and says they need to finish prepping me.

After twenty minutes, they're satisfied with the positioning of the listening device on my body and tested the sound. The FBI team gives me another rundown of what will happen. But I don’t need the repetition. I already know what’s about to happen. I’m going to meet my father at the Conservatory of Flowers, he’s going to tell me the truth, and once I have my answers, I’m giving the signal which will betray him by having him arrested.

No one would ever blame me for doing this. He has lied to me all my life and betrayed me more than anyone ever will. Yet, a sense of ick peppers my arms in goosebumps, and my stomach twists so uncomfortably I have to hug myself.

“You ok?” the lead FBI agent asks. 

“Yes.” I nod, even though bile coats my tongue.

“This is almost over.” She squeezes my shoulder with a smile. “And soon, you’ll be reunited with your family.”

“What?” My gaze darts to her.

“The Moreno family was contacted as soon as we discovered that your DNA matches Valentina’s. Your mother flew in from Mexico City last night.”