7

Mo was at her happiest when she was in her garden. Planting, watering, nurturing. It was all she could think of to take her mind off of worrying about Steve when he was away – which was currently happening to take down the last Hydra base. The house was usually quiet anyway, the ambient sounds of nature being the only noises around. 

It calmed her. 

They had only been in their new home for a couple of months, and already she was feeling brighter. She had learnt how to work the stove, the record player was obvious considering it was one just like they'd had back in the forties. She still couldn't quite get to grips with her phone but at least she knew how to turn the thing on. The house phone was easier and she would talk to Peggy a couple of times a week. 

Mo liked to think that she'd become a good little cook. Back in the forties everything had to be boiled and during the war they'd had to make do with what little they'd had. There were some foods from this time that she liked, but mostly she preferred a healthier lifestyle, and Steve had been in agreement when it came to this. In fact she had already made space for a vegetable patch so as she could grow her own. He encouraged her in everything that she put her mind to. She'd made their house into a nice and comfortable home for them.

Her shield and suit were sitting in the closet. It had been the first thing that she'd done when it came to unboxing her belongings and setting up the house. It had proven to be a good distraction from everything. A place to call her own and put her mark on. 

She'd play music, bake, anything to stop herself from thinking of what could happen if Steve was hurt while on a mission, or even worse. Dead. Slowly but surely, she could feel herself beginning to enjoy the life she now was leading. Peggy's words had stayed with her - she had to come to terms with what had happened and accept herself. 

And she was trying her hardest.  Progress was being made, but it was baby steps. Unfortunately Mo was the most impatient person ever. 

It was dark when Steve returned from their third and final mission in the early hours of one morning, he was exhausted, but they'd retrieved the sceptre they'd been after for months. Now all he wanted to do was sleep for a few hours and feel the warmth of his wife's body next to his. 

Pushing the door open quietly to their bedroom, he could make out her form in bed, sleeping soundly.That didn't mean to say that she'd had a good nights sleep though, she could've been up an hour ago if he knew her. 

Changing out of the suit, he slipped into bed beside Mo and she stirred. "Shhhh." He soothed as she now huddled close to him. 

"I'm so glad you're home." She told him sleepily and rested her head on his chest. 

"So am I sweetheart - have you been ok?" 

He felt her nod against his chest. "Mhmmm...I erm...I missed another course..." She now admitted, unable to keep it from him. 

Steve turned on the light, fully awake now and looked at her in astonishment. "You have?" 

Mo smiled lightly. "I mean, they've not been regular since I returned, but I missed the last one, and now this...I think we could be having a baby darling." Her eyes shone, "But, I don't want to get my hopes up." 

"We'll only know if you take a test." 

"I've been waiting for you...I didn't want to do it alone." 

"Do you want to do it now?" He asked. 

She shook her head. "You look exhausted darling, we can do it in the morning." 

"Well I can't sleep now that you've told me that." Steve chuckled. 

"Steven." She scolded in jest, "You have just got back from a mission and you look as though you're about to fall asleep as I'm talking right now. Hanging on a few more hours won't hurt." 

He threw her a look, "Take the test Lizzie, then I can sleep." 

She exhaled and got up, heading into the bathroom and closing the door. Steve waited until the door opened again and she walked out. 

"Well?" 

Mo shook her head. "Not this time...but it's ok, we can just keep on trying." She smiled and tried to look on the bright side, but behind it Steve could tell she was upset. "You said these things took their time." She crossed the room and got into bed, turning out the light. "We'll just have to see what happens next month..."

"Maybe you should talk to Helen about this?" Steve said a little concerned. "The test could always be wrong, especially if you've skipped two courses." 

"I just don't understand..." Mo stared into the darkness.

Steve pulled her closer to him. "You've been through a lot, it could just be down to stress. If anyone can give you an answer then it's Helen Cho." He leant in and kissed his wife gently. "Try not to worry sweetheart. It just means we get to do more of the fun part." 

She chuckled against him. "That's my favourite part." 

"Mmmm mine too." He growled lightly and she let out a squeal as he skillfully flipped her underneath him. "I. Love. You. Mrs. Rogers." He said after placing each kiss onto her skin.

"I love you too darling." She craned her neck up slightly to meet his mouth on her own once again feeling the sanctuary that he always gave to her. 

Mo was already up and making breakfast by the time Steve came back from his run later that morning. "Drink up, and eat up." She smirked, putting the plate on the table. "So how did the mission go? I didn't get a chance to ask you last night considering you decided to pounce on me when you came back." 

He kissed her head and sat down, Mo pouring him some coffee into the mug beside him. "Well we finally got Loki's scepter, which is a win for us - Tony's throwing a party tomorrow to celebrate. He wants you to come too..." 

Steve saw Mo stiffen slightly as she washed a few dishes at the sink, but then she nodded. "I suppose I cannot avoid that one...will there be many people?" 

"It's Tony, the guest list is always long." Steve rolled his eyes and sipped his coffee. "Sweetheart...it's ok, sticking with me and you'll be alright. Plus Sam really wants to meet you." 

"Sam?" 

"He's a good friend of mine. You'll like him." 

Mo nodded. "Ok..."

Steve could sense that she was worrying about what they'd spoken about last night, thankfully Helen would be there tomorrow so she could have the chance to discuss her worries with her. He'd noticed his wife was more relaxed and happy though. Sure on the odd occasion she'd broken some things without meaning to, but the move had been the best decision. She loved the garden and when he couldn't find her, he knew that she'd always be out there, caring for the paradise of different colours and blooms that she'd planted. 

It was domestic bliss, just like they'd always wanted.