20

"I can't be here, and I can't stay long either..." Steve told his wife as she ran into his arms and kissed him gently, now checking him over for any injuries. Thankfully he was unscathed. 

He looked tired as she noted the dark circles under his eyes. "How did you find me?" She asked. He had obviously not been there for the will reading so whether Peggy had informed him of the place before she died was beyond her knowledge. 

"I knew you'd be here, I couldn't call though - they're monitoring your phone". 

Mo frowned, "How on earth do you know that?" 

"Nat, she knows a guy..." He explained and then shook his head. "I'm sorry sweetheart..." There was nothing worse than feeling as though he had failed her once again. 

She brushed off the apology immediatly. It wasn't needed. "It doesn't matter, at least I know that you're ok" and then looked at him. "How long do you have?" 

Steve looked guiltily at her, "Just under a half hour tops, and then I have to leave. I'm sorry sweetheart but I can't keep in touch as much as I want to. It'll be too dangerous for us, just me being here isn't a good idea". 

Mo swallowed, "Then you need to go darling..." 

He brushed some hair behind her ear. "I'll try and come back when I can, but I can't take any chances - I just need you to look after yourself". He pulled a phone from his pocket and passed it to her. "A burner phone for you. Keep it safe. My number is in there so if you need anything then call me". 

She nodded and and looked at him. "They're making me the one to hunt you all down...it's like they want to tear me down piece by piece because they know that you're my only weakness."

"I know, and you're doing great, just keep fighting Lizzie - I don't know when this will be over but they're bound to realise that the accords were a terrible idea". 

She now sobbed into his chest. "I just want you here, with me...and that seems too much to ask". 

"Because you will be thrown into the Raft if they find me here, I can't have them hurt you". He cupped her face and looked into her eyes. "That and Crossbones is still out there."

"He's looking for me" She confirmed, "He sent a warning to the government about handing me over". 

Steve sighed. "And he's not gonna stop, he'll carry on with the attacks, making 'examples'". Then he saw her face. "Don't even think about it". 

"He'll only hurt more people...I can't put their lives in front of mine. You know that I am more than capable of taking him on!" 

"And risking your own life! He's dangerous Lizzie!" He argued. 

"And so was the war, but we both fought in that - and somewhat survived..." She pointed out. "Steve...Hydra created me, so now I have to stop them using everything they gave to me. Their own 'weapon' will destroy them - you know I'm right". 

He knew she couldn't change her mind and nodded. "Just don't kill yourself in the process". 

"If that's what it takes to stop this man, then I will do what I must". 

He glanced to the window. "I have to go...check in with me on the burner phone", and kissed her gently. 

"When will I see you again?" She asked. 

His face looked pained. "I don't think we can...I know I said I'd try but we have to think logically, it's too much of a risk. 

She let out a sob as he held her close, breathing in her perfume so as he could savour and remember. It could be months, even years, but they had no choice. Mo would be safer here even she was under government control. 

With one last lingering kiss, she watched him go, the pain in her chest stabbing her over and over again. It was just as unbearable as the last time that she had lost him. Time was not on their side, even after so many years. 

It became apparent to Elizabeth Carter that perhaps she and Steve Rogers were simply not destined to be together - no matter how much the ring on her finger signified.