15

Since her identity was now on display for the world to see, the story of Mo's return as well as the love affair that had captured everyone in both the USA and Britain was once again dug up for all to learn about. 
She'd gained attention that she thought was unwanted, especially since the incident in London, however the highest honour had been meeting the Queen - now, with the return of Elizabeth Carter and a new 'hero' to protect Britain, an exhibition at the Imperial War Museum was due to open in the summer. 

Of course, Mo hadn't wanted it, but with it being by order of the Queen - she couldn't exactly protest. 

Steve watched his wife across the table at breakfast one morning, sipping on her tea whilst she flipped through a magazine. The last few weeks had been a bit of a blur for her, but she appeared far more relaxed now that the cat was out of the bag. She had returned to her old self and it was nice to have his Lizzie back as he knew her. 

"You're staring Steven..." She said, not bothering to look up from her magazine.

He grinned. "Not allowed to stare at my wife now?" 

"If we were still in the army then I am certain that you'd be getting a talking down from me by now." 

"I'm a Captain - remember."

Now she looked up and gave him a challenging stare . "So am I." Closing the magazine, Mo put down her cup. "I've been looking into Bucky's whereabouts." 

"I said that you didn't have to help." 

"But I do...we lost him because of me - or don't you remember that?" 

He shifted and sat back against his chair, crossing his arms, "Believe me I try to push it to the back of my mind  every time the thought comes to me". 

She got up and took her empty tea cup to wash up. "I have nothing else to focus on. So finding Bucky will make up for what I am missing." She then corrected herself , "We're missing..." Mo braced herself against the counter. "May as well get back to what I'm used to doing - fighting for my country. It's all I know...and to think that I could escape that? Well I was wrong." 

Immediately, he knew that she had been asked something from someone official. "Who's asked you to fight?" 

"The British Government". She bowed her head. "I can't deny the Queen...but I can juggle this life and that. It just means that we may have to keep being parted for missions and what not". 

He got up and slipped his arms around her waist. "Sweetheart...it's asking too much from you". 

"I have to...I told you before I needed something to keep me busy, and now why not put my abilities to good use, rather than see them as a curse that Hydra gave me and waste them - they may have managed to change me physically, but they didn't really achieve their goal". 

"They know your back, they'll still want you for their own use". 

She turned in his arms and looked up at him with some determination. "Let them try..." 

Steve nodded, accepting her decision, but the worry for him was lingering. He had a duty to protect his wife - he still knew that he'd failed her during the war and he didn't want history repeating itself - whether she was a super solider or not. Crossbones was out there as well as Hydra and others who would want Mo. 

"Steve..." She now interrupted his thoughts. "Howard wrote in his letter  that I should be my own hero, and that's what I'm doing. I'm doing exactly what I did back in the forties, stepping up and doing my duty. Not even time can change my mind on that, even if I thought it could". 

He kissed her gently. "Howard always had faith in you, and so do I - if you wanna do this, then I've got your back..." Telling her the words that she used to say to him all those years ago.