18

Picking up her shield, Mo looked at herself in the mirror. Howard's words ringing through her mind. "Be your own hero dollface".
She didn't feel like one. If anything she felt like a traitor, but there had been no choice in the matter. She did as the British government asked if her, and this was just that. 

Her sister would be turning in her grave.

England had signed the accords and as a result, Mo had been pushed into signing too. She was betraying Steve and everything he was standing up for in the worst possible way. Mo didn't want to, but she hadn't really had any say in the matter. If anything her hidden agenda was to keep an eye on what was happening from the inside, she was still very much faithful to Steve - even when he would learn of what she'd done.

What was more?

She now had to hunt him down.

"Didn't think you'd show up". Tony said as she arrived later at the meeting point that their team had agreed on.

Steve was spotted near to where they were and she knew they'd be making for the airport.

Unfortunately so did Tony.

"I'm only doing this because if I don't then I lose my freedom" she glared at him, "I'm not doing this to feed your ego Stark,"

"Gonna be awkward going toe to toe with the husband"

"I won't be putting in much effort."

"You will if he thinks you've betrayed him". Tony shrugged, "plus the government you work for will be watching".

Mo looked to Nat and knew from her expression that even she was divided. She didn't want to be here either. "Can't you just settle this over a cup of tea and a chat".

"Not that easy England - if you haven't noticed, your husband's stubborn".

"And if you haven't noticed, so are you - my goodness Howard would..."

Tony now turned to her. "Don't talk about dad".

"Why? Am I hitting a nerve?" She stared blankly at him.

He glared at her now. "Y'know he never shut up about you and Cap - like ever, So tell me this and be honest, were you another notch in his bed post? Because the way he used to talk about you? And sometimes in front of my Mom? It sure sounded like it".

Mo cursed Howard Stark then and there. "He wanted more and I didn't. And no, I wasn't "another notch" as you so kindly put it. I refused to be. I knew Howard better than anyone, and I also knew that he was the biggest playboy around. So before you judge me young man, let me tell you that your father and I only that the utmost respect for one another. We were friends and that is all it ever was". She ranted and then looked at him. "As for talking about me in front of your mother? Well, that's not my fault".

"You exist, that's enough".

"I wouldn't make an enemy of me too Anthony - not now that there is so much at stake".

"Just do your bit England and get into position". He commanded and nodded to the others to follow him, leaving Mo to watch them make for the runway.

**

Steve hadn't expected to be going head to head with his wife, and his heart sank as he saw her join Tony and the others. It was even worse having to see Sam and Bucky go against her during their battle that then broke out. She was a strong fighter and the extent of her strength was shown as she knocked Clint across the ground and then sent her shield spinning through the air and destroying red wing.

But now he'd managed to get her alone for a few minutes and he needed to know exactly what was going on

"They made me sign...I'm sorry darling..." She looked at him, hurt that he would even think that she'd go against him.

"It's not your fault, listen - I need to get Bucky to Siberia, we think that the person responsible for framing him for the bombing is heading to the facility there - I need your help..." He tucked some hair behind her ear.

Mo swallowed and nodded. "What do you need me to do?"

"I don't think there's gonna be any way outta this...I need to run, and I need someone on the inside..." He threw her a look. "You've gotta keep on as you are. Under government control . Any information worth knowing, then you pass it on to me - but I can't go home. You need to carry on without me for a while sweetheart..."

"For how long?" He didn't answer this, "Steve!" She urged.

He shook his head, "I don't know..."

She blinked away a few tears and nodded once more. "Just...keep in touch, get a burner phone. Anything I find out then I'll let you know". Giving him one last kiss she looked back at the carnage that was unfolding a little way from them. Bucky now running up and joining them.

"Mo?"

"Barnes...nice to see you're alive"

He smiled lightly, "You too..."

Mo then turned to Steve. "Go, if I have to hold them off then I will..."

"I love you sweetheart..."

"I love you too..."

While Steve and Bucky made for the hangar, Mo made sure she covered them to get them there. Seeing T'Challa now trying to stop them. Launching her shield at the Black Panther, she stood in front of him. "Let them go..."

"You are supposed to be stopping him..."

"He's my husband. I've never stopped him before and I certainly won't be doing so now, so if you want to stop them, then you'll have to go through me first".

T'Challa looked at her and then backed down. "Why Siberia?" He asked when she told him where they had made for.

"The man who murdered your father is on his way there, they need to stop him. Bucky didn't kill your father". She put her shield on her back and stepped aside. "Go on, be my guest and go after them - you know I'm telling the truth".

He nodded and went to walk out. "King T'Challa..." Mo called back to him and he turned. "I trust this can be kept between us. Stark doesn't need to know of what I've done".

"If you are telling me the truth, then I won't tell him, but if I find that you are lying, then when I come back I shall see that you are locked away with the others".

"Deal".

She knew that she'd still have her freedom, but would it be worth it without Steve?