Because Of Chloe (Chloe x Max)

Max grips the counter of her dresser tightly, struggling to meet her own gaze in the mirror. 

   She rocks back and forth on her feet, feeling her heartbeat pounding in her ears, counting her breaths.

   It's been two weeks since the storm and two weeks since the town got severely damaged-but not permanently. Two weeks since Chloe-fucking-Price saved everyone.

   Because of Chloe, there was no colossal tornado with a high casualty count. Because of Chloe, she and Victoria were saved, and Mr. Jefferson was arrested before he and Nathan could hurt anyone else.

   Because of Chloe, Because of Chloe, Because of Chloe. . .

   . . .Because of Chloe, for one week, she remembered what it was like to love and be loved. 

   And if she did everything right, Chloe died, not knowing that Max came back and loved her with all of her heart. She died, never knowing what happened to Rachel Amber. She died fully believing she had nothing and no one.

   It was amazing how fast Chloe forgave her for her lack of contact for years-or; at least she was really good at acting like it. Chloe must've really cared about her. . .

   Max gives up, turning away from the mirror and flopping down onto her bed, staring at the cracks in her dorm room ceiling. She sighs, letting herself sink into her blankets and pillow.

   She can still feel Chloe's lips against hers as the storm whipped and raged all around them. The love, the care, the desperation as they kissed each other for all of their worth before Max just left her there.

   The brunette reaches up and gently brushes her fingers against her lips, letting out a heavy sigh. She flips onto her side, looking out the window.

   It's nice out today. The sun is shining brightly, and the sky is so clear. Not a hint of any storm or tornado at all.

   It really was her recklessly trying to keep Chloe alive for an extra couple of days. It was her fault. Everything is.

   She slowly sits back up before going over to the window, pushing it up and inhaling the fresh morning air.

   It's tragic. . .Chloe shouldn't have had to die. There's no way that had to be her time.

   Suddenly, a blue butterfly flutters past her and into the room, landing on Max's desk. The brunette turns, eyeing it carefully, taking a few cautious steps closer to it. 

   Blue butterflies remind her of Chloe, of course-and, it's not just because of the hair. It's the same sort of butterfly she snapped a picture of the same day she saved Chloe, and they reunited. . .and the day she had to let her go. 

   Late at night one time, she convinced herself that Chloe's soul was in the butterfly-but only for a little while. 

   The butterfly slowly flaps its wings but doesn't go anywhere, and Max gets even closer. She reaches out her hand, and the butterfly bursts into the air, flapping over to land on her finger, shocking her.

   The brunette bends her arm to examine it closer, marvelling at the pretty patterns on its wings. 

   'What do you think, butterfly? Do you think I should just force myself to start moving on?'

   There's no response.

   'Of course.'

   The wings twitch, and the butterfly starts flying towards the window. Max lets it go.

   The butterfly returns outside and leaves her, just like-

   No. It's time to stop thinking like that. She needs to only remember the happy things about Chloe. It's what she would've wanted, after all.

   She heads back towards the window, watching the creature until it's completely out of sight. 

   Max shuts the window and smiles.

   It's a start.