2

August 25th, 2022
9:15 AM
Laurel, Maryland📍

Hakeem Pov

I didn't want to be here. I'm currently at school in my first period and I didn't have any of my friends in this class.

My friends and I have known each other since kindergarten but I didn't get close with them until later on. There's me, Angel (boy y'all know), Azalea (girl), Demarion (boy), and Simone (girl).

This new girl, Ni'chelle that was being added to our friend group can go somewhere else. I didn't have anything against her, just don't know her. Ever since I was born, I couldn't trust anyone. Angel said she was cool and I believe him, I'll just have to see for myself.

I have actually seen her before, I was with my cousin in his neighborhood and she was taking pictures for some reason. She was beautiful, she was 5'1 which is funny to me. She has brown skin that just glows in the sun. She would smile every time she'd seen a dog which somehow made me smile.

My cousin said no one really talks to her because she has a mean resting face and I didn't believe him until I seen it for myself, he's right. If she was at my school I wouldn't talk to her anyways. I only talked to my peoples.

The bell rang for next period which interrupted my thoughts. I was the first one out of that class. I love school and I didn't care expressing that. I'm a smart athlete and got more attention because of it which wasn't my intentions.

"Hi Hakeem"

"Hey handsome"

"Boy, when are you going to stop playing? You know I want you."

I hear that EVERYDAY. It's starting to get on my nerves, I don't want none of these girls in this school. Especially if they throw themselves at me. Most guys do including Demarion and Angel but not me. Some girls even think I'm gay because of it but I know I'm not.

*Skip the rest of the school day*

Me and the group were currently at the park. We all live 5 minute walking distance from each other and meet here everyday after school.

"So whatchu say about this girl Ni'chelle?" Demarion asked with his face scrunched

"Look y'all just get to know her, okay? We met at Laurel skating rink and she's friends with my ex. She's pretty chill but y'all be nice to her, she don't play with disrespect." Angel explained

"I just want to meet her already." Simone said

"Yeah, we need to have another girl in this friend group." Azalea said swiping her hand under her chin

"Y'all really want to meet her?" Angel asked

"YES" They all said but me

"Alright bet, I'll tell her"

It was silent for a while but then the girls turned to me

"You're being very quiet, you met her too. How you feel about her?" Simone asked me while Azalea agreed

"Eh, she ight."

"IGHT from what I saw from her insta, she's beautiful."

"How you get her insta?"

"Why? You want it?"

"No"

"I bet you like her."

I just ignored her comment and continued being on my phone. How can I like someone ion know? Also, ion got time for no girl.

"Ight, imma see y'all later" I dap the boys and give the girls side hugs.

I heard one of the girls say that I'm prolly just upset that I said I liked her which in reality, I just wanted to go home. I had practice anyway, I ain't have time to waste.

I play basketball, been since I was born. My parents didn't want to force me to do any sport and I respect them for that. I loved basketball and saw all the opportunities so, I took it.

***
"THATS HOW WE DO IT AVERY" Coach Rez said

When we're in games, ion really care about the crowd and the fan girls. When I'm playing or practice it's always going to be me and the ball. Don't get me wrong doe, I'm still a team player, make sure everyone's head in the game (iykyk) and make sure they playing fair.

I liked coach Rez because if any of us makes mistakes, he'll point it out. Some of my teammates don't like that because it makes him seem rude. But he just wants to make sure we win and it's advice for the future.

Now, coach Peters gets on my nerves. He just be there, being wrong. If coach Rez wasn't there and the team didn't have any common sense, we would suck but ion like talking about it.

It was the end of practice and I was ready to pass out on the floor. My pops like to watch practice and gives me advice as well because he was a retired player.

When I got home, I took a quick shower, ate some delicious food my mom made, and took my butt to bed.