10

April 3rd, 2023
8:00 AM
Laurel, Maryland📍

Nichelle's POV

Today was the start of spring break, so I decided to go to Angel and the group's school since they still have school (Mockingjay High School). They are called the OGs because they have stayed with each other since they met.

The group has been to my school when they had a day off when I didn't. They were allowed at the school. Somehow they convinced the school; all I had to say was that I knew them. They thought it was completely different and they enjoyed being my shadow. They kept saying that I was famous because people were saying hi every time I was in the hallway but it was only because I met people from people that I knew. None of them were my friends tho.

Once I got signed in to prove that I was a guest I went to find any of them. I found out that both Simone and Demarion had the same class, so I went to go see them. I mostly stayed in my corner and would occasionally laugh if Demarion wanted to clown.

*

It was now lunchtime and I was exhausted and dying to eat. We arrived at the lunch room and when I say it was big, that's an understatement. Their whole school was massive the classrooms, bathroom stalls, gym, nurse's office, literally everywhere was expanded from other schools in MD. If you live in Maryland you know this ain't a school but I wish it was.

Let's not forget we are in Laurel so the students ruin everything. Most places were gated off unless a teacher needed to use it because the kids like to skip and either have sex, drink, smoke or try to fight in certain places that weren't being used. I try not to judge them in the beginning but they proved me right, sadly.

We met with the rest of the crew and we were walking the halls and everyone was making jokes the whole way but I realized Q was quiet and had no emotion in his face.

"Are you okay?" I said touching his arm to catch up with him

He jerked my hand away he looked at me with cold eyes. I'd never seen him like this before, he was cold when we first met but this was different. I felt like I was disgusting when he looked at me. The crowd already watching because he was their main target so they saw what happened and the crew saw as well when he jerked his arm. I felt like I was growing an anxiety attack so I just ran out of the school.

I got in my car and started driving but I ain't know where I was going. All I knew was I needed to go somewhere far. After a while, I found an abandoned parking lot with the most beautiful view of the sky. It was a little cold so I stayed in the car and started crying.

I felt so embarrassed and I thought I did something wrong. Q and I were just good not that long ago. What did I do to deserve that? I was going through waves of emotions and reasons why he would treat me. I just hope that he has a good reason

Hakeem's POV

Everyone just looked at me and continued what they were doing in the halls. It was extremely quiet during lunch as well. None of my friends were saying anything, just sending messages or trying to call someone and would steal a glance at me. So I broke the thick ice since I knew they were trying to contact Nichelle.

"Y'all I'm sorry, I didn't mean to," they just looked at me, " y'all know how these girls are. They would either bother me or be extremely rude to her." I said with an awkward laugh

They just looked at each other and continued doing what they were doing. I honestly don't blame them but I know how the girls at this school are. I'm not saying that I'm just thinking about myself but about her. I didn't feel welcomed so I went to the library to finish some homework.

"You're usually here after school every week or so, what's going on?" The librarian asked me

"I made a new friend and I think I just messed it up." I usually talk to her when I'm in here, she's kinda like my mentor

"When did you meet this friend?"

"A few months ago, I met her through Angel. I kinda gave her a hard time but getting to know her helped me know that she's a sweet girl.

"I can tell because you're smiling...you like this girl."

I completely straightened my face, "I don't like her."

"Whatever you say. What's her name?"

"Ni'chelle"

"Okay, what did you do to mess it up?"

"So there are times when we add another person to the group, women specifically, and when I simply talk to them then the rest of the girls at the school think it's okay to talk to me and would bully the girl out of the friend group and I didn't want that to happen to her so I gave her a cold face. She ran away crying before I could say anything"

"What do you mean by cold face? Your face you give when you don't want a girl to talk to you?" I nodded my head

She just looked at me and I see that disappointment in her eyes. I didn't know what she was going to say but her eyes were saying it all.

"Are you slow?" she finally said

"What?" I was taken aback

"You have someone that makes you generally happy and when she tries to maintain that friendship you want to ruin it with bullshit, excuse my language," she sat down next to me, "Look, I know you care for her, I can see it but you can't put your insight on something you didn't talk about with her. She most likely can fend for herself if she can deal with you from the beginning. You can tell those girls that you don't wanna talk to them instead of hurting Ni'chelle in the process. You need to talk to her, hopefully, she ain't mad at you"

"I will, after school of course, but I know she's upset with me and it's going to take a while to find her."

"I want to meet her the next time she's here. I wanna talk to her about a few things. Think about what you say and don't be nonchalant with her at all. Only pure emotions, maybe you'd admit that you like her."

I laughed at her comment and after she left, I was in a trance. What am I going to say to her? Where can I find her? Does she even wanna talk to me?

That was in my head for the rest of the day and the group still didn't wanna talk to me but Demarion. All he told me was that I better get my shit together before we lose a good one. I know what he's saying but first I gotta find her....

Hey y'all, this school has been kicking my ass so some chapters are going to be late but be patient with me <3

Also, I'm not stereotyping Laurel kids at all, just going with what people from Laurel have told me.