Home

'Oh,' Bella said, trying to sound indifferent.

Bella stayed in the front room after Diana carried the food out to Charlie, pretending to watch the game while Jacob chatted with Diana. Bella was really listening to the men's conversation, watching for any sign that Billy was about to rat them out, trying to think of ways to stop him if he began. It was a long night. Bella had a lot of homework that was going undone, but she was afraid to leave Billy alone with Charlie. Finally, the game ended.

Diana was feeding William and trying to rock him to sleep. 

'Are you and your friends coming back to the beach soon?' Jacob asked as he pushed his father over the lip of the threshold.

'I'm not sure, but maybe next week,' Diana said.

'That was fun, Charlie,' Billy said.

'Come up for the next game,' Charlie encouraged.

'Sure, sure,' Billy said. 'We'll be here. Have a good night.' His eyes shifted to Bella's and Diana's and his smile disappeared. 'You take care, Bella! Diana!' he added seriously.

Diana nodded her head, William was lying on her shoulder. 

'Thanks,' Bella muttered, looking away.

Diana headed for the stairs while Charlie waved from the doorway. Bella was standing in the driveway.

'Wait, Diana,' he said. 

Bella cringed. Had Billy gotten something in before she'd joined them in the living room?

But Charlie was relaxed, still grinning from the unexpected visit.

'I didn't get a chance to talk to you tonight. How was your day?' Billy said.

'Good,' Diana said, her was face was still and she as not showing any emotion. 'My soccer team won all four games.'

'Wow, I didn't know you could play soccer,' said Jacob.

'Well, it's my favorite game,' Diana said playing it off like she was not that good.

Diana slept well that night, Jasper was staying with her the entire night and it was pleasant. When she woke up to the pearly grey morning, her mood was blissful. She hurried with William she rushed out the door as soon as Charlie was out of sight. Jasper was also there dressed up for the day. 

Diana didn't hesitate this time, strapping William into Jasper's car seat. She quickly climbed into the passenger side. He grinned his smile melting Diana's heart.

'Edward asked Bella to come to the house,' Jasper said. 

'Great, we can show them our house as well. I want to stay in a night there,' said Diana. 'Since, it is the weekend. I'll ask Charlie if I could stay with Alice.'

'I appreciate that,' said Jasper.

Edward and Bella came towards them when Jasper drove over the bridge at the Calawah River, the road winding northward, the house flashing past them growing farther apart, getting bigger. And then they were past the other houses altogether, driving through misty forest. 

The forest encroached on both sides, leaving the road ahead only discerning for a few meters as it twisted, serpent like, around the ancient trees. And the, after a few miles, there was some thinning of the woods, and they were suddenly in a small meadow or was it actually a lawn? The trees held their protecting shadow right up to the walls of the house that rose among them, making obsolete the deep porch that wrapped around the first story.

The house was timeless, graceful, and probably a hundred years old. It was painted a soft, faded white, three stories tall, rectangular and well proportioned. The windows and doors were wither part of the original structure or a perfect restoration.