Past

Carlisle sat behind a huge mahogany desk in a leather chair. He just placed a bookmark in the pages of the thick volume he held. The room was how Bella always imagined a college dean's would look ---- only Carlisle looked too young to fit the part.

'I wanted to show Bella and Diana our history, well your history,' said Edward.

'We didn't mean to disturb you,' Bella pleaded in soft tone.

'Not at all. Where are you going to start?' Carlisle asked.

'The Waggoner,' said Edward, pointing at toward the door they'd just came through. The wall they faced bow was different from others.

Instead of bookshelves, this wall was crowded with framed pictures of all sizes, some in vibrant colors, others in dull monochromes.

Edward pulled Bella and Diana toward the far left side, standing in front of them was a miniature city full of steeply slanted roofs, with thin slices atop a few towers. A wide river filled the foreground crossed by a bridge covered with structures, that looked like tiny cathedrals.

'Is that River Thames?' Diana asked mesmerized. Edward looked at Diana but her eyes glazed over the painting like she watching a video than a picture.

'Yes, London in the sixteen-fifties,' said Edward. He looked at Carlisle, they both shared a moment.

'The London in my youth,' said Carlisle added from few feet behind them.

'Will you tell the story?' Diana asked looking at a different painting. 'This looks awfully specific.'

PS: I do not own this picture

Carlisle met Diana's eyes. 

'I would,' he replied. 'But I'm running a bit late. The hospital called this morning --- Dr. Snow is taking a sick day. Besides, you know the stories as well as I do.' Carlisle grinned at Edward.

After a few moments explaining the story. Diana was getting tired.

'Well, I'll go see what Jasper's doing,' said Diana and went out to find Jasper.

Diana stood in front of Jasper's room and slightly knocked the door.

'Come in, Di,' said Jasper. He was sitting in his bed. Diana sat next to him. Jasper moved closer towards her and she adjusted herself and snuggled him.

'That was interesting,' said Diana.

'Yeah, history is always interesting,' said Jasper.

'You know when I looked at a painting I just felt like I was falling into the painting,' said Diana. 'I can almost hear their voices. Now it is your turn to tell the story.'

Jasper sighed and he lay in bed and Diana soon followed. She actually lay on top of him with a warm blanket.

'I grew up in Houston. When I was almost seventeen, I lied about my age and volunteered to join the Confederate Army, I rose quickly through the ranks, being promoted over older, more experienced men. My father thought that I was Charismatic. I think this is likely due in part to early traces of my Psychic Ability. Even as a human I had a gift for empathizing with and influencing the emotions of those around me. By the time the Battle of Galveston began, I was the youngest major in the confederate army. After leading a group of refugees from Galveston to Houston, I saw three extra ordinarily beautiful women. Maria, Lucy and Nettie. Maria decided to change me for the newborn army she was creating.'