Chapter 1: Just say yes

Ezra kept his eyes trained on the road as he ran through the plan once again.

He'd been thinking about it for a while, for a very long time really. Finally, he had plucked up the courage to ask the big question. The time seemed right enough. They lived together, they both had stable jobs, they'd been dating for six years at this point. Surely, six years was enough proof that they should get married.

Fuck. His hands gripped the wheel. He had to stay cool now.

He'd done everything he was supposed to. He'd bought a ring, he'd subtly brought it up in conversation with Colby to gage his reaction, he'd booked a fancy restaurant. The stage was set. Why did he feel like he was missing something?

This is the point in his life where it would've been nice to have witnessed a good marriage growing up. What was he supposed to do? What was he supposed to act like? Was he doing any of this right?

He should really ask Trevor for some advice.

Why did that ring a bell? Ask Trevor? Did he mean to ask Trevor something recently?

They'd talked for two hours last week just about the new TV set up Colby and Ezra had in their apartment. Trevor was no technician, but as soon as his family needed anything electronic done, he magically became one. Two hours later and Ezra had the TV set up with surround sound.

If he needed to ask Trevor something, surely he would've asked it then. Actually, thinking back he remembered wanting to ask Trevor something before they started on the TV.

Job advice? No. Checking in? No. Marriage advice? N...

Oh god. He hadn't asked Trevor for permission to marry his son. Oh fucking god!

"Ezra, babe. You good? You look like you're sweating."

"I'm fine." Ezra said shortly.

How could he just forget the first fucking step.

"Don't look fine. It's just dinner with my parents, don't look so nervous."

He glanced at Colby from the corner of his eye. Colby was fiddling with his tie. Adjusting and readjusting it. He looked very smart in his suit and tie. Ezra was glad that Colby hadn't asked too many questions about why they were suddenly having a very formal dinner with his parents.

"You look a little nervous as well." Ezra pointed out.

"I'm not nervous, it's this stupid tie." He pulled it down from his neck. "My dad said that ties are essential for fancy dinners, but he just wears ties all the time. This thing is so annoying!

"You don't need to wear a tie."

"But, I want to look nice for tonight."

"What? Why?" Don't tell him that Colby had figured out what was happening tonight. Technically, it wasn't that hard to figure out, but still. Ezra had hoped for a fun surprise for Colby.

Colby frowned at him then readjusted his tie. "What do you mean why? We're going to a super fancy restaurant. Why wouldn't I want to look nice?"

"Oh, yeah."

Maybe the pressure of proposing was getting to Ezra a little bit. Okay, alteration for the plan. Ezra would find a way to ask for Trevor's permission to marry his son early into the dinner, they would all have a lovely evening, then as they finished up their meals, Ezra would get down on one knee and propose, Colby would say yes (because why wouldn't he) and then they would all have champagne and celebrate.

It would all work out fine.

*

Phew, Colby nearly gave himself away then.