Chapter 22: No Shirt, no service

"You can't wear a suit."

"Why not?"

"No one wears suits to clubs, dad."

The boys were kind to lend their apartment to him so that he could get changed, but he felt self conscious with the pair of them watching. It was a nice bathroom, white bathroom with forest green tiles in the shower and around the skirting of the walls. It was mature if a little on the small side. If they ever moved out of this flat and wanted something bigger, Steven would be more than happy to buy it for them (though Ezra probably wouldn't let him). He adjusted his burgundy tie that matched his burgundy checkered pocket square and admired his fine charcoal suit in the mirror. The two boys also admired his fine charcoal suit in the mirror. He could see Ezra leaning against the door frame and frowning. Colby wasn't half as invested as he passed by the door, busying himself with general housework. Occasionally, he would stick his head through the door and would give an opinion on whatever it was that Ezra was commenting on at that time.

This time he leaned his head through the door, a bottle of antibacterial spray in his hand, and agreed with Ezra. "The suits are very you, but they're not exactly club wear."

Steven frowned. He'd never really been to clubs. He'd only ever been forced by coworkers or friends that wanted to go for bachelor parties or some other celebration. It was awful. He couldn't see the enjoyment from being surrounded by a bunch of sweaty, horny, drunk people with music so loud he couldn't hear his own thoughts. Not that he was going to tell the boys that, he had to make them believe that he was interested in clubbing...

...Jesus, he was pathetic.

"I don't have any non-formal clothes," said Steven with a sorrowful sigh.

"You can borrow some of my clothes." Said Colby. "Stay here, I'll go grab some!" He rushed off before Ezra and Steven could stop him.

"I don't..." he said quietly to Steven, then turned in the direction of the bedroom and yelled louder, "I don't think your clothes would suit dad!"

Colby came rushing back, a big grin on his face. "Well, I don't have any suits, but I've definitely got stuff you'd wear to the clubs. Plus, Steven and I look the same size."

Steven was very flattered to have his body likened to a twenty-something year olds. Perhaps those gym days were paying off.

Colby walked past Ezra and presented his club outfits to Steven. They were on the revealing side to say the least. Steven picked up the shirt on the top of the pile and almost gasped at the sheer fabric, it had a rose print design but you had no idea until it was pressed against something. The jeans Colby offered were low waisted and torn at the knees and various other places. It was hard to tell whether it was purposeful design or whether Colby was incredibly clumsy. Both possibilities seemed very likely. The other options were a variety of vests and other sheer tops. Perhaps they weren't that bad, but to Steven who was very used to the comfort of a well sewn suit, the tops all seemed incredibly scandalous.

"It's not his style," Ezra said again.

"I'll wear it!" He felt stupid as soon as he said it, but he was tired of being seen as a person with a stick up his ass unable to relax. Stavros was cool, calm and collected. Steven was anything but, but he was willing to try. He grabbed a random pair of ripped jeans and —to his dismay— he grabbed a very low hanging black vest. Damn it. He put on a brave face and smiled at Ezra. "Perfect."

"You're sure?"

"Yeah. Of course." Steven smiled. "I was twenty at one point too, Ezra. I wore stuff like this sometimes."