Chapter 25: Greek delivery

"Stavros." Steven just stared at him. He thought... well, he didn't know what he thought. So caught of guard by the Greek man that he could hardly string too thoughts together. Disjointed 'why's and 'what's and 'how's floated around his head without ever finding a way to leave his mouth.

Stavros seemed equally caught off guard or at least unsure. He was dressed in his usual style. A white linen shirt, faded denim jeans and sandals. Sandals. Always the sandals even though it was late at night and freezing. His hair was ruffled and there was a five o'clock shadow growing on his jaw. Despite it all, despite the obvious worried expression on his face, all Steven could focus on was those sandals.

Before he asked his barrage of questions, he couldn't help but ask: "Are you cold?"

"Uh— yeah, actually." He admitted with a shy smile. "Not that I came here to get warm. I... did you... God, I sound like an idiot. Decades of learning English only to stutter at a time like this." He ran a hand through his dark hair as he laughed.

"Do you want to come in?"

"Depends."

"On what?"

"Are you waiting on someone?" Stavros asked.

Steven wasn't expecting that question, but he answered honestly. "Yes. I suppose I am."

Stavros nodded his head. His brow furrowed and he looked down to his feet. "Is it this man I've heard so much about?"

Steven wasn't sure what man he was talking about. He didn't want to assume that Stavros knew every Greek delivery driver in the city, it seemed like an offensive generalisation, but he maybe he did.

Stavros continued: "How was the date?"

"Date?"

"I assume he at least took you out for dinner before coming round to your house."

"The delivery man?"

"What?"

"What?"

Steven, though he felt quite self conscious at his current state of dress, had enough of this farce and invited Stavros in. "You may as well get out of the cold," he told him," unless you mean to decorate my doorstop for the rest of your life."

Stavros smiled and stepped in. They didn't talk much as he entered. Steven walked through the house with Stavros following behind him, but Stavros was acting peculiarly. He'd been to Steven's house before, for god's sake, he'd stayed the night. He was not unfamiliar with the layout, and yet he kept glancing around every corner and looking at every room as if something was going to happen. It was oddly annoying for Steven. Stavros came all the way here only just to look around the house?

He wasn't sure what to do with Stavros once they were in the living room. "Would you like a drink or anything?" He supposed he was technically hosting Stavros at this point.

"No. No, I'm alright. Thank you."

"Then why are you here then?" Steven turned on him in frustration. "You just show up at my door late at night asking about some man. What do you want? Why are you here?"

"It sounds ridiculous," said Stavros.

"You keep saying that, but I'd much rather you make a fool of yourself rather than me."

"How am I making a fool out of you?" He stepped further into the room.

Steven took a step back. His leg coming into contact with the couch behind him. "Never mind."

"So, now you're not speaking either?" Asked Stavros. His hand went straight to his hair as he pushed it back from his face. Twisting and pulling on the strands with that conflicted expression on his face until eventually he sighed and his hands dropped. "When we went out a few nights ago and you met that man, whatever his name was."