Chapter 10: Give it to me staright, Doc

"I'm surprised you actually came," Ezra admitted. He kept his hands folded in his lap, trying to force himself to seem somewhat relaxed as he sat with his dad.

"Of course." His dad kept adjusting his position on the pair of fuzzy seats. It was hard to act comfortable when his dad clearly wasn't.

They waited in a long cream hallway with nothing to look at but the poster in front of them of a brain with a smiley face that said 'happy mind, happy life.'

"How are you?" His dad asked.

Ezra nodded his head, his thumbs twiddling round each other. "Good, good. You?"

"Fine, thank you."

The door to their left clicked open. "See you next week." The couple that left the room bid their farewells to the doctor inside. They giggled and laughed together, the woman hung off the man's arm. They smiled at each other until somehow the woman ended up tripping a little bit. All the shared joy they had moments ago, fizzled away. Their smiles were replaced with scowls. They stopped touching, standing as far away from each other as they possibly could.

Well, damn, that wasn't exactly promising. 

A short woman with tanned skin and dark head poked her head around the door. A pair of half moon glasses sat on the bridge of her nose and she had an maroon scarf around her neck.

"Steven Dickinson and Ezra Williams?" She asked.

Ezra stood from his chair and smiled politely. "That's us."

"Williams?" His dad looked up at him, his eyebrows raised and mouth slightly agape.

"Is that incorrect?" The therapist asked, a slight Spanish accent to her words. "I apologise. Those are the names I have written down."

"They're correct." Ezra reassured her.

"They are?" His dad asked.

"Yes. I...um, changed my name a few years back."

"...oh, I see."

"Why don't you both come inside and take a seat." The therapist ushered them inside into her office.

It wasn't very office like though. It was comfy with warm lighting. There was a large sofa that Ezra and his dad sat on opposite sides of. The cushions were comfy and colourful, the sofa had a fluffy blanket draped over the back. There was a large fish tank with tropical fish on Ezra's right and a variety of houseplants on Ezra's left. The most comforting thing of all was the little white dog cuddled in a small dog bed in the corner of the room.

It's little ears pricked up as they came into the room and sat down. It came padding over and Ezra held out his hands to stroke it. It's hairs were so curly and soft to the touch. It placed its black wet nose on Ezra's palm as his hand stroked its back.

"My name is Dr Mireya Rodriguez. It's nice to meet you both."

"Your dog is adorable." It licked Ezra's face as if in thanks for the compliment.

"Thank you. Her name is Lily." The therapist sat in a leather arm chair with wooden armrests across from them. A notepad and pen rested in her lap.

"What breed is she?"

"A cockapoo."

"She's very cute. My fiancé and I are considering getting a dog as well." He took out his phone and took a photo of Lily and sent it to Colby. Colby immediately replied by saying he was going to book himself a session just to see the dog.

"Yes, I believe I spoke to your fiancé over the phone. How long have you two been together?" Ezra liked her voice. She spoke softly without being overly quiet.