Chapter 23: Mischief

"That adjourns today's wedding planning." Colby's dad thumped his hand down against the table as if it were a gavel. "There'll be serious legal repercussions for anyone who doesn't do their designated tasks." He gave a hearty laugh.

Colby leaned towards his mom. "You've been letting him watch too much Judge Judy again."

"It's his weekends, Colby. He's allowed to watch anything he wants in his spare time."

He gave her a mean side eye. "You never used to let him watch it too much."

She turned her head away suspiciously, avoiding Colby's glare. Since they were all sitting around the table, all she could turn to look at was Steven who was sitting next to her. She reached towards him and plucked at the collar of his pristine white shirt. He flinched away from her as his collar recoiled back and hit his neck, his hand shot up to shield his neck from her. "A bit of lint," she lied. Steven shuffled his chair further away from her.

"Why are you letting Dad watch Judge Judy?" Colby asked again.

"Because I love him," she snarked. She turned away again and mumbled under her breath: "andheslettingmewatchrupaulsdragrace."

"RuPaul's drag race!" Colby exclaimed. "Ezra, did you hear that!"

"It's fine, Colby," said Ezra, "as long as she doesn't start telling gay people to 'start their engines' again."

"So, RuPaul can say it, but not me?" Jemma gasped. "Where is the equality in that?"

"You're not gay, mom!" Said Colby, crossing his arms. "Only cool gays like me can make jokes like that to other cool gays like Finley."

"Why'd you say Finley and not me," asked Ezra.

"How dare you say that?" His mom yelled over Ezra's voice. "Your father is very feminine at times and I feel as if that has to count for something."

His dad straightened out his tie that had a photo of a Greek helmet on it and the quote 'I will never leave him it will be this always for as long as he will let me', he seemed to realise how perfect the timing was to be wearing a quote from Song of Achilles during a discussion of queerness. "I feel it is important to be gender non discriminate when expressing yourself. Masculinity and femininity are societal inventions."

"What is happening?" Steven muttered.

His mom clapped her hands once, the entire table turning to look at her. "Speaking of Finley," Colby was surprised she'd managed to cycle back to that, "what are you two boys doing for bachelor parties?"

"We were just going to get some friends and go out together," said Ezra.

"Together? Not separately?" Asked Steven. "Last day of being a free man as they say."

"I don't know." Ezra shrugged. "Colby and I like being together all the time anyway, but we haven't really thought about it too much."

"We should do separate parties," said Colby. "The lesbians called me last night and they've approached me with a great offer."

"Stop calling Avni and Sophie the lesbians," Ezra scolded.

"But that's what they are! You know they call you, me, Finley and Brent, the gays."

"They do?"

"They do."

Ezra put his hands. "Fine. Stavros asked me this morning if I wanted him to plan anything for me so I guess I'll tell him yes."

"Alright then." His Mom stood from her chair. "Come on, darling, let's start our engines."

"Ugh, Mom!"