Chapter 24

Nicolas drew in a rasped breath, eyes searching the field. His teammates were close, but he was intended to make the play. Nicolas had assumed he could pass the ball to Greg, the copper-skin boy, waving at him from across the field. But he knew how the team felt about him, if he were to indeed pass him the ball it would be of last resort. Unless Nicolas wanted Derek's fist on his face after the game. They can't hurt me anymore, at least not know that I'm blood-bonded to Serephina.

But being true or not, he wouldn't risk it. If there was the slightest chance that if he were to get hurt it would affect Serephina too, then he might as well consider quitting the team. "Three to Four! Three to Four!" Nicolas had the ball, he knew his play...but if so why was he hesitating? 

From the corner of his eye, he watched Serephina as she was thrown into the air, her arm locking as she gave three turns before landing. Two build up guys who could have been simply mistaken for football players or Tures, the mountain men in the east of Quinwal, caught her both smiling broadly. He wondered if they smiled for performance or if they were enjoying having Serephina in their arms.

"Hey! Throw the ball!" Nicolas couldn't recognize the source of the voice, but he knew it was from one of his teammates. He threw the ball. Greg covered for Smith, the guy who had the play. Nicolas caught Greg's disappointment flash through his green-gray eyes before slamming into another player while Smith made it for the play. Nicolas hoped Serephina hadn't noticed it either.

The crowd cheered, a mob flooding down upon the players surrounding them as the game ended. Nicolas' team had won, and he still couldn't wrap his head around the fact that they indeed had won.

 Nicolas tried to wiggle his way out of the crowd, eyes searching for Serephina. He needed to be close to her now, after the play he had lost energy and had put too much distance between him and Serephina.

"Nicolas! Congrats!" Nicolas turned to find Adelis smiling at him, eyes glittering with happiness. "You guys won!"

"Thanks," he said once he drew away from her sudden tight hug.

"We have to celebrate tonight," she winked.

Nicolas stammered over his words. "L-Look Adelis, I would lie if i said you weren't attractive—cause you are. And I've noticed how you act around me. But I have a girlfriend and I'm with Serephina and you guys are friends. It wouldn't be okay if we—" Nicolas trailed off upon hearing Adelis' wicked laugh. "W-What's...so funny?"

"Omg! You thought I was interested in you?" She howled out in laughter calling the attention of groups passing by. Nicolas turned crimson. 

Gods! What a fool he'd been.

"There you are," Serephina's voice silenced Adelis' laughs (which made Nicolas blush even more). She casted a doubtful look between them, a smile tugging at her lips. "What's wrong? Do I still have green gel on my hair?"Nicolas didn't know what to say. He looked at Adelis. Would she tell her?

He should tell her. Serephina and him should be a team, a team who passes the ball and plays fair. 

Adelis winked at him, before she wrapped her arms around Serephina, whispering something in her ear before she disappeared into the crowd.

Serephina giggled, her gorgeous green eyes locking with his.  "Well that was unexpected." 

                                                       ***

Hey guys! Two chapters coming your way! 

I hope some of you enjoyed this whole mess as much as I did, I know that we all sometimes can get confuse and definitely think--very much like Nicolas--that someone's into us jajajajaja.

 Has something as this ever happened to you?

Vote if it has or if that's ever been you in Adelis' place. Don't forget to comment if you wish to and stick around to see how Serephina reacts. Thanks<3