14. what a small world

my phone's pressing on my ear and supported by my shoulder. in one hand, a lit joint's resting between my pointer and middle finger. on the other, i'm whisking eggs, salt, and pepper and waiting for the pan to warm up.

"you decided on what you gonna get your dad?" amorah asks.

"unfortunately no. but you know i'm terrible at gifts. even when it comes to my dad."

"well, you've got the rest of the week to decide. don't stress it." she chimes in.

what i wanted to say was: "it's not just that. i have to introduce my fake boyfriend to my family, try to make things believable, decide on a great present for my dad's birthday party, continue to plan my fashion show, and see my sister i haven't talked to in forever."

but instead, i simply ask, "why don't you and milo tag along this time? my family hasn't seen you since they first met you."

if they both come, it'll be less awkward for me and vinnie. wouldn't be too hard to turn that 2 bedroom airbnb into a 3 bedroom. plus. ever since last night, we've been on great terms. having my plus twos would be amazing, especially to stop him from bringing up the past.

"i don't think so...y'know i can't leave len. our anniversary coming up. and, remember milo said he was gonna be busy this week with clients."

right...i forget i'm the single one in this group.

"right...right"

vinnie walks into the kitchen, bent down, and looks into the fridge. as i glance at his damn hair, i realize he also has no shirt on. i never noticed how buff he's gotten...i didn't even know he works out. but then again, people change.

ever since last night, i couldn't stop thinking about what he said.

"you don't smile so often"

like what was that supposed to mean?

i smile...most times?

"did you drink my orange juice?" vinnie suspects, holding the carton and slightly shaking the juice inside. "no" i mouth, shaking my head and adding butter to the pan. he sucks his teeth and reaches over me, taking the joint from me.

"what the hell!?" i look back at him.

where's the please? or may i?

"i rolled it." he shrugs his shoulders. "and plus you've been hogging it and letting it go to waste."

i suck my teeth and he chuckles, walking to his easel in the living room and taking the joint with him.

"uhh, jenae? who was that?"

damnit.

how'd i forget i was on the phone...?

"oh, that was my roommate."

"the one milo talked about? why does he sound so familiar?"

maybe i should just tell her...

i look over my shoulder checking that vinnie's occupied. "you might not believe me...but my roommate is someone you may know." i whisper.

"who?!"

"vinnie."

"what!!?" she shouts in my ear.

"it's a long st-"

unexpectedly, a knock at the door interrupts me. i glance over my shoulder at vinnie, who doesn't look like he wants to answer the door. instead, he's nodding his head to whatever music is playing in his ear and stroking his paintbrush against the canvas with the joint in his mouth.

"give me a sec amorah," i groan in annoyance and answer the door myself.

"what a small world?" i hear her sigh.

once i open the door, i recognize a familiar and unfamiliar male standing in front of the door with balloons, champagne, and smiles. "uhm-i'ma call you back amorah..."

i stare at both of them, who didn't look as confused as i am. nano comes trotting to the door and attempting to peek his head through my legs. i slightly tug at his collar to keep him back while my shoulder uncomfortably presses my phone to my ear.

removing the phone from my ear and hanging up, i keep my eyes on both aaron and the new guy. "aaron what are you doing here?" his eyebrow rises as if i'm the crazy one. "to congratulate you both on your engagement of course? even though i didn't know you guys were dating..."

vinnie told them?

the other guy reaches his hand out to greet me with a quirky smile. "hey, my name's rio." he bounced his eyebrows in a flirty manner. i step away from the door closing it in their faces by "accident", then opening it again to give them a proper warning. "give me...one second."

they smile and nod, being understanding and innocent.

infuriated, i stomp toward vincent cole hacker in rage. he doesn't notice me approach him, but i tap on his shoulder to grab his attention anyways. he nods his head up at me, "hmn?"

i glare at him, "why would you tell them?"

"tell who what?"

i scoff, shaking my head with my hand on my hip, "aaron and a guy named rio at the door." i drop my voice lower "it's about the fake proposal."

his face twists in confusion and he takes his airpods out and walks to the front door the open it. nano's trotting behind him, being nosy. when the door opens, the guys cheered again, and vinnie lets them in.

the egg pan!!

rushing to the pan, i check if the butter has burned. luckily i accidentally put them on low heat. i pour the eggs into the pan to hear the satisfying sizzle. returning to my thoughts, i call amorah again and hold the phone to my ear while pulling the edges of the egg to the center of the pan so it cooks evenly.

"hi girlie!" she cheerfully answers the phone.

"hii, so where were we?"

just then, there's the touch of someone hugging my waist and nuzzling their head into my neck. "question," the sound of vinnie's husky voice rings in my ear. his breath smells minty fresh like it'd just been brushed.

his cold satiny skin presses onto the fabric of my oversized tee and his large frame hugs over me so softly. the dampness of his hair touches the side of my face and his lips softly kiss the side of my neck.

"can i get some eggs too?" he smiles. i can feel his chest thundering and i'm sure as hell he can feel mine. i completely forget that amorah was talking on the other side of the line. i even forget my annoyance at his friends knowing about last night.

what's he doing?

whatever it is, i hate how it turned me on...