39. found

my ringtone blares and I'm suddenly awoken. i touch around the edge of the bedsheets until i feel the screen of my phone. turning the phone to face me, i peek at the name.

it's an unknown number.
meaning prank callers.

groaning in annoyance from being woken up at 5 in the morning, my finger pushes the power button, finally silencing the phone.

i shift my head to vinnie, glimpsing at his softened sleeping face. his lips slightly quirked upward, but it was a subtle gentle smile. unstartled from the random ringer, his hand barely twitches and so does his torso. his expanded bicep supports my head as a pillow, while his warm unmistakable body presses against mine.

rubbing my eyes and squinting at my surroundings for a better focus, i recognize from the nearest window it's still dark outside. the waning gibbous beams through the window, kinda of like an underrated "good morning". the rain is unrecognizable except for the light splatters of raindrops hitting the roof.

my stomach drops further than it already was. i shift to the side to aid my discomfort, but now I lay more awake. nano's still running the streets of Inglewood.

i wonder what he's up to right now, if someone took him in or hurt him? the pounds and animal shelters didn't have reports of a doberman, and that scares me. instead of him possibly being unharmed and surrounded by people who might keep him out of trouble for the time being, he's on the streets most likely causing mischief.

on my side of the lifted bed, nano's empty dog bed keeps me in check with reality. nana's sitting there, waiting patiently for him to return to her. the unanimated dog toy throws more and more guilt at me.

by now, a tear would've fell down my cheek but i've already cried so much that i can no longer cry for this short period. if i do so, my head will start pulsing headaches and i'll be stuck with them. instead, my lonesome, guilty thoughts come and go while also forcing my hope quieter quieter.
that's until i remember it.

my phone number is on nano's collar...
what if someone found him?

hurrying out the bed, i snatch my phone from the dresser again to pick up the declined call. they quickly answer. "hello!" i practically squeal, unaware of the desperation in my tone.

an older woman replies, "hi, you're number was on the back of this dog's collar."

holding my hand over my chest, my eyes brighten and a huge exhalation of pent-up breath finally releases. she then goes on the describe his appearance, "a friendly doberman with a black collar and leash still attached, right?"

it is him.

"that's him!" i respond with attentiveness, scrambling through my purse for my keys and slipping my crocs on.

"he's sitting here in the rain waiting patiently and refusing to move," she chuckles. "i'll just send the address."

after thanking her, the call drops. i'm excited to see him and get to hold him in my arms knowing he's safe now. i'm so eager to see him, that i'm unaffected by my appearance. my camo crocs clash against the grey sweatpants and yellow oversized college shirt that hides the fact that i'm not wearing a bra. but worrying about my outfit is useless.

"what happened?" vinnie yawns, scratching the hairline of his messy bed hair. we didn't talk much after last night, but part of me feels relieved he's talking to me. hurling my jacket on in a rush, i explain it to him.

"and you think you"'re going alone?" he asks, lazily stepping toward me as his low eyes gaze down at me with one brow raised.

"yea i'll be fine." i roll my eyes, but in my mind, i'm slowly agreeing with him. i don't fully know if this lady is telling the truth or if this is a trafficking technique.

"you don't even look confident with that answer." he faintly smirks since his face is still stiff from just waking up.

it eases me.

"either way i'm going and you can't stop me."

"i wasn't going to stop you," he steps into his shoes as well. "i'm coming with you."

normally i would argue for vinnie to stay here, but it's 5 in the morning. it's dark out, many people are still sleeping, barely anyone will be on the roads, and it's dangerous. of course, i want to get nano back, but i can't do that if i'm hurt or kidnapped.

giving up, i nod my head and soon the both of us quietly leave out the front door and make our way to the directions sent. despite the both of us now being fully awake, the ride is quiet.

When we finally do get to the address, we're downtown surrounded by tall buildings and luxurious-looking apartments. since it's still early, barely anyone's on the sidewalks. the only people around are early joggers. birds chirp and coo. but still, the morning darkness reminds us of the early hour.

crossing the empty intersected street, we approach a lofty apartment building. the inside lobby has dim yellow lights shining, but we see only the doorman examining his magazine through his glasses. my hope begins to dissolve again, even greater this time until i eventually notice him.

he notices as well but he can't recognize me just yet.

nano's sitting in front of the closed lobby door and sheltered from the rain assaulting each direction it shoots at. his head leans forward and his nose twitches as he attempts to sniff through the air. i use this chance to finally see him up close. his ears are tucked and so is his tail. he's visibly soaked, water drops falling from his slender face and ears.

when he realizes this, he jolts up immediately swinging his body side to side and wagging

when he realizes this, he jolts up immediately swinging his body side to side and wagging. crouching to his level, i let nano run into my arms regardless of the dampness from his fur. he whines and barks, acknowledging vinnie too. thankful that he's found and safe, i pull him into a hug closer. i almost lost him.

out of the corner of my eye, i take notice of a lady approaching us from inside the lobby of the building. she stands beside us, smiling. "i assume you're the one that found him," i begin to form my sincerest thank you, but i'm abruptly taken back. only now that i analyze her, i get a good detail of this woman's features unlike before. before, i only detected the sight of her standing in a creme trench coat with a black turban.

now, i see her face clearly.

she appears to be around middle-aged, revealing faded smile lines and peaceful forehead creases. her hazel, doe-like eyes flutter and the corners of her full lips quickly frown. she looks oddly familiar...

when she takes notice of this and exaimines me as well. soon she's taken back. stunned.

"uhm," i clear my throat. "thank you so much for finding-"

"jenae?" she croaks in a low unsure tone. her hands slowly raise to cup her mouth and she reaches out to touch my face. weirded out, i jerk away from her and now stare at her like the crazy person she is. vinnie's hand interlocks securely with mine, as he increases our distance from her. "who are you?" he asks when we're at a safe enough length.

"how do you know my name...?" i look at her, then at vinnie. his eyes squint and his brows gather. eventually, the recognition hits his face and he slowly tilts to look down at me.

she blinks, "you really don't recognize me?"

my eyes narrow at the crazy lady, but it soon makes sense. there's only one picture of her in the house, and it's in the laundry room, hidden behind laundry detergent boxes.

"mom?" my face softens but my head tilts.