56

REYNA

*not really edited

*not really edited. if you see any mistakes, please comment them*

I shut my eyes, embracing for an impact. I saw the look in Viktor's eyes, I observed within the .005 seconds that it took for the bullet to pierce through the air. As if I were staring into the eye of a tiger, I watched the point of the bullet dart through the air, directly at me.

All I could think about was how my life would end, but it would all be okay because at least I reached my goal. At least I saved my mother. At least I could die, knowing that lives would be saved, and families could be reunited. It would all be worth it.

However, the time kept moving and with each passing second, as I awaited death, I realized that it never came.

Slowly, I peeled open my eyes to see the woman I fought so hard to just hug one more time was lying on the floor right in front of me. Blood was rushing from her chest, and her eyes were shut. It was easy to hug my legs to my chest as I swore it was all some nightmare that I would wake up from and be welcomed by the rays of sunshine dancing on my skin.

Her eyes bared open to me, staring into my soul. It was everything I wanted for years, but I never anticipated the soulless gaze of my mother that would soon haunt me forever.

Mom.

Saint stood in front of me, forcing me to lose sight of her eyes. Even as he crouched down and his lips began to move, I couldn't hear a thing. All I could hear was the gunshot. All I could hear was Viktor screaming at me-demanding me to tell him what had happened to his sister. All I could hear was her lifeless body hit the ground. Over, and over, and over, and over, and over again.

Saint began to shake me, growing more frantic with each passing second.

This wasn't happening to me. This wasn't reality. Mom was still alive. I had to find her.

He stopped and moved out of the way allowing me to look at my mother again. All I ever hoped for was just to feel her massaging my scalp as I slept beside her again. I missed the way she would hold me tightly every time I was scared. All I wanted was to see her give me that big thumb's up-just one more time.

Soon, Alessandro replaced Saint, crouching down in front of me. His face was cold and empty. It looked as though the mother he had only met a few moments ago hadn't just been shot right in front of him.

I broke my mother's gaze to look into the blue sky of Alessandro's eyes. He continued to stare at me, looking over my every feature, until finally, he pulled me in and hugged me.