38. Birthday Wishes

These two oneshots are dedicated to my late grandmother, for she's celebrating her birthday today.

Special thanks to Live_WriterLife for the birthday fic idea. Enjoy the two oneshots. 💖

1. Surprise!

Agatha couldn't count how many times she's twirled her pen in her fingers, but she still can't focus on doing her college work, especially during the night of her birthday.

She brings the tip of the pen to the tip of her teeth as she endlessly stare at the oblivion of words on the screen. Every time she sees the word Tokyo or Japan on the essay written on the screen, something in her chest twists tightly, making her frown drag down sharper.

Agatha brings her phone up to her, looking back at the long message Kubo has left for her birthday. She hasn't seen him in two years, and her mind wanders off to when she'll be able to celebrate her birthday with him again. She smiles bitterly to stop herself from thinking about that, before turning off her phone.

She puts her elbows on top of her desk and rests her cheeks on the palm of her hands, letting out a heavy sigh. It didn't have to be like this, she thinks to herself as her heart continues to sink.

Two knocks prompts Agatha's gaze to land at the door to her dormitory.

"Come in," she calls out, hitting the space bar on her laptop. As she removes her headphones, the door opens.

Neil's face pops from behind the wooden door with a huge grin on his face, and not long after Norman's face follows him.

"Oi! Make room!" Wybie shouts, making them all laugh. Neil pushes the door wider, and Agatha's heart immediately swells with warmth.

"Happy birthday to you, happy birthday to you," they sing, as Norman and Neil enters the room, with Wybie carrying a cake in his hands and Eggs lifting a wrapped thing behind his back.

"You didn't need to do this, you dorks," she laughs with a fawn, her face brightening up as they finish their song. "Thanks, you guys."

Eggs turns his back to her, gesturing to the thing behind his back. "We got you a present, lil sis!" He tells her with a grin.

Agatha eyes the present he's carrying on his back. It's almost if not as big as Eggs himself, and she can only guess what's inside as their gift.

"Not only that, but we also got you cake!" Wybie gushes with a proud smile, "professionally hand made by yours truly," he adds, moving his hand to himself.

She knows very well that Wybie couldn't even make a cooked egg himself. "Seriously?"

"I'm joking!" Wybie wheezes, "we bought it for you lil sis," he says with a wink.

"Wybie couldn't even make cake," Norman snickers as Neil laughs beside him, making Wybie glare at the couple.

"Guys," Eggs clears his throat, "this thing is really heavy." He moves his arms upward, hoisting the wrapped thing higher on his back, as if he's having a hard time carrying it.

Agatha's brows knit tightly in concern. "W-what even is that...?" She asks as she points a finger to  his back.

"Your birthday present!" Eggs cheers.

"But first, close your eyes," Neil teases, as Norman covers her eyes from behind using his hands.

"Ugh," Agatha huffs, "I hate surprises." She rolls her eyes, even if they're covered her line of sight.