21. A Piece to Share

Ring!

"Are you still going to attend the lunch practice cap?" Miguel, one of the guitarists in the music club asked his Senior carefully. Kubo allowed Miguel's question to hang, before shaking his head.

"No," he responded sharply before closing his shamisen case a bit too harsh, making the two other Juniors in the room flinch at his sudden notion.

Fei Fei, one of the new Junior transferee students (who happens to be a very good singer) raised her hand warily, silently contemplating wether or not its a good idea to ask him. But Kubo saw her anyway, so it's too late now; she has no choice but to ask her question.

"Kubo, why aren't you going to join us today? Isn't our presentation two days from now?" When Kubo didn't respond to her question, instant regret washed over her face as she gulped down the knot inside her throat.

Yi, the Junior violinist in their group, tried to stand up for the newbie with a step forward. "Uh, big bro, I think what she meant to say was wh-"

"Look you kids," Kubo cut off her sentence short, carrying his shamisen case by the handle. "If you guys want to keep practicing for today, then fine," he stated as he walked towards the door.

What they didn't expect for him to do was to sigh tiredly. "But I really need to skip today's practice," Kubo let his voice soften, looking at the talented kids with him right now. "I have to take care of something. I promise, I'll get back to you guys tomorrow."

And before anyone could react to what he just said, he finally walked out the room, letting it slam loudly against the door frame.

• • •

"Can I have four egg sandwiches, oh and two small boxes of orange juice please?" Kubo asked the old lady politely.

Her eyes almost went out of her sockets in shock. "Gee Kubo, what have you been doing to get you this hungry?" The old lady joked, making the both of them laugh lightly.

Kubo smiled. "I'm sharing it with someone," he answered politely, as the old lady gave him a tray of what he asked for. "And why aren't they getting their own lunch?" She asked him again.

He took the tray with his one hand, making sure that everything stays on top. "She's... busy," he answers again, before nodding to the old lady. "Thank you miss!" Kubo greeted, before walking to the tables outside the cafeteria.

His one eye scanned thoroughly through the groups of tables, trying to spot her amongst the crowd of students casually having their lunch.

She usually switches tables in order to hide away from him so that she can study in peace, but they both know that he's not gonna stop searching for her just to keep her in check.

He smiled brightly when he spotted where she was; at the edge of the set of tables near the garden, where a bush of flowers is set just behind her. Even if she's far away from him, he still found her beautiful.

Kubo swiftly dodged the students passing by as he walked towards her, while also trying to balance their lunch on his one hand, and carrying his shamisen case with another. To his luck, he survived the tricky task.

His smile gets wider and wider the more he walks towards her, and when he's finally in front of her, that smile turned into a sad one.

She's at it again. Sacrá bleu.

Agatha's nose is pointed towards that history book she has that her coach told her to review from start to finish, and she looked at that stupid book longer than she looked at him this week alone.