13. A Familiar Face

For once, you whole-heartedly appreciated the bustling crowd of people around you.
They weaved between you and Morgan, blocking your view of them every few seconds. Even so, you couldn't break the soul-sucking eye contact between you.

To your surprise, Morgan didn't look entirely shocked. Like they knew you were here. And maybe they did - maybe Olive had told them about the different employees on their first day. But they still looked anxious as anything, and they looked like they were about to start walking towards you.

"Olive!" You hissed, tugging at her arm. The closer Morgan got, the more despair loomed over you, "can you come with me? Like, right now?"

Olive looked down at you moodily, her teeth bared, "I manage you, Y/N, not the other way round."
"Please!" You whispered, hardly daring to glance in Morgan's direction, "I'll make it up to you. Like- um- I'll by you one of those expensive bubble teas!"

That seemed to grab Olive's attention. "Whatever, L/N. Let's get going."

Letting out a breath you didn't know you were holding, you dragged Olive into the back room and slammed the door shut, flopping down onto one of the stools and staring intensely at the mirror. You looked like you'd just seen a ghost.
"So- Y/N. Can you explain that all to me?" Olive sat down next to you, tapping her nails on the desk, "cause I am fucking confused. I have a meeting in ten and I can't deal with any of this 'middle school crush' crap today."

"OH. No- you've got it wrong. VERY wrong. Well, technically right, but, um. It's not that simple." You face palmed, taking a deep breath, "that person over there is my old partner."

Olive sat up in her chair.

"And... you know- things didn't end so well. They stormed out, I stormed out... it was messy. And I'm not sure I wanna talk to them right now."

Olive's reaction was instant. "I. Will. MURDER that guy." She paced around the room, the heels of her shows clacking against the concrete, "no one can hurt my Y/N without consequences. Don't worry- I can fire them. You'll never have to see them again." She laid her hands on your shoulders and stared at you, her eyes radiating the fires of hell, "and if they ever 'hurt' you again, I swear to god-"

"Olive!" You chuckled despite how tight your chest was, "Don't get me wrong, I really do appreciate it, but..." You sighed. Faintly, you could remember telling yourself last night that you wanted Morgan fired as soon as possible. But after the initial shock of him working at the Pizza Plex had subsided, you didn't feel the same way. You hated yourself for it, but there was no way you were letting Morgan loose his job over you. It wasn't fair. And if you and Morgan swapped places, you knew, deep down, even if you didn't want to admit it, that he wouldn't get Olive to fire you.

Suddenly, the door to the backroom gently drifted open. Your stomach dropped.

But then Bonnie poked his head around the corner, his eyes flickering from you to Olive like he wasn't sure where to look.

He ended up looking at you.

"Y/N," He said, walking inside and quietly shutting the door behind him, "there's this guy- Morgan, I think? Anyway, they want to talk to you. They made it sound pretty urgent, so..." then he noticed your expression - from the concern in Bonnie's eyes, you guessed you looked like a stray lamb on the side of a road.

A/N I use 'guy' gender neutrally. Morgan doesn't have a set gender - it's really up to you to decide :)

You grabbed his hand and squeezed it tight, making his blush. "I think your both gonna have to sit down for this one." You murmured, getting ready to relive your heartbreak.