CHAPTER THIRTY-ONE: WE MUST BE KILLERS

CW: Rough sex, oral sex, tit fucking (I'm blushing just writing that shit idk why), dom!Bucky, slapping, spitting, dirty talk, daddy kink, misogyny.

I also mention gas prices in this. I just guessed. I'm a bisexual who can't drive. Sue me.

The sun is shining, the radio is on, and James is the happiest he's ever been. Tonight, he wants to talk to Dahlia about calling her aunt and arranging a dinner so that he can introduce himself. Preferably at his house or at the hotel. All he has to do is get through these meetings today, and he's home free. He's finding work to be a chore lately, especially now that things are beginning to ramp up with his Skid Row property. The interim Police Chief put back patrols around Skid Row at James's request and he's begun to increase development.

But as great as things are, he's worried. There's a nagging feeling in the pit of his stomach and he can't seem to get rid of it. It doesn't help that James hasn't heard from Dahlia all morning. She usually texts him when she has days off - she sends him pictures of Alpine, pictures of what she's reading, flowers in the garden outside of his house that she's taken to tending to. He wants his house to be as much hers as it is his own. He would give her everything if he could. As he strides into the hotel, he sends her a text.

Hey, peach. Everything okay?

She doesn't answer. He's worried, and James Barnes almost never gets worried. He punches in the code to his office door. Natasha is at her desk.

"Mr. Barnes? Steve and Mr. Pierce are waiting for you. There's coffee ready, too."

He smiles and takes his suit jacket off, hanging it on the hook near the door.

"Thank you, Natasha. I'm going to be bringing in Peter's girlfriend so that you can help train her. I'd like her to start in the next couple of weeks."

Natasha smiles. She's been itching to start on her new position, and MJ will be graduating soon, so she can start in a couple of weeks once she's gotten her diploma and fully moved in to her new place. James cut Peter a massive check so that he and MJ could afford a two bedroom apartment near USC. He wants them to have a fresh start, and a good start. It's something he never got when he was in university.

"That sounds great. I actually emailed you some ideas for the lounge at the new hotel — I know you're busy, but if you want to take a look at them..."

Bucky smiles.

"I'd love to. I'll have a look at them after the meeting."

She nods and starts to get back to work as James heads into his office. He can hear Pierce and Steve laughing as he pushes his office door open. Steve glances over at him. He's dressed more casually today - a white t-shirt underneath a charcoal blazer and matching dress pants.

"Hey, Buck. Sorry, Romanoff was taking a call, and—"

"From who?" James asks, wondering if it was Dahlia. He checks his phone again. Still nothing from her.

Steve chuckles.

"How the hell should I know?"

"Hey, where's this gorgeous woman Steve says you're hiding?" Pierce interrupts. He's drinking James's whiskey at 11:30 in the fucking morning. James should have expected it. The guy is an unstable alcoholic after so many years of undercover work. He probably needs therapy.

"She's at home," James informs him. "It's her day off today."

"He told me you were engaged," Pierce laughs. "Is the notorious James Barnes settling down again? I remember what happened to the last one." He elbows Steve, who laughs a little too hard. He remembers how broken James was after he did what he did to Dot. It's the one time he felt truly guilty, but she deserved it. She tried to fucking kill him.