EPILOGUE: THE GOOD LIFE

A/N: Thank you all for coming along on this journey. I never expected this fic to go the places that it has. It's been a wild ride, but I've loved every second of it. Here's the epilogue. It's short, sweet, and just the ending that these characters deserve. 

NINE MONTHS LATER

Dahlia hates hospitals, but this time, she's not here for a shitty reason. Still, the smell bothers her. It's too clean, almost to the point where she feels like she has to hold her breath.

Wanda is in the delivery room. James paid for a private room where she and Thor could have space to relax. He had flowers delivered, teddy bears, and everything she would need for two babies is waiting at home at the house that Wanda and Thor share. Thor's house is luxurious - large, modern design, open concept, and they spent the last six months baby proofing everything with Dahlia and James's help. It was painfully adorable to watch him put a crib together, but they've still agreed that neither of them are ready for children.

Dahlia loves being married to James. He's a wonderful husband, and she's so fucking proud to be a member of the Barnes family.

Wanda is the happiest Dahlia has ever seen her. She's taken to pregnancy and motherhood like a fish to water, and she loves Thor. They're engaged, planning on getting married next year. He's taken on the role of fatherhood well, especially since the twins aren't his, but that doesn't matter - what matters is that those babies are loved, cared for, and they'll be protected. Dahlia and Wanda decided to break their lease not long after Sharon's fundraiser. Dahlia moved in with James in his Malibu home and Wanda lives in the same area, but a twenty minute drive from them. Scott and Hope moved in together, and Kate moved to New York to be with Yelena, but she's flying out tomorrow to celebrate the birth of the twins. A boy and a girl. Wanda was worried when she found out she was having a boy - what if he ended up like Steve? Dahlia and James had to reassure her that nobody was going to let that happen. Steve was sick, and part of that sickness came from his upbringing. His parents weren't around much and never taught him how to form healthy attachments, so he wound up trying to figure it out on his own.

Wanda's children won't have that problem. They have beautiful parents, and they'll be raised with so much fucking love.

All feels right with the world. Sam won his bid for mayor, the Skid Row property is almost complete with minimal interference by the LAPD, and James has them right in his pocket - where they should be all along. Wilson Fisk never ended up running for Chief of Police. Sam endorsed some guy named Rhodey Rhodes. James likes him well enough. He's just the right kind of corrupt to stay out of his business, and keeps his nose clean. Dahlia has been privy to sitting in on James's meetings, discovering the depth of what he does and how he runs LA.

James moved Thor into a much less risky position within the hotel. He's working on the board of directors, overseeing security operations. This was after James offered Dahlia a job overseeing the expansion of In Bloom. The shop is now operating in downtown LA, and in both locations of Barnes Towers.

Rita made a full recovery, and she was able to be present for James and Dahlia's small wedding on the beach. The ceremony was minimalistic, but the party was insane, taking up most of their house in Santa Cruz. It was the most drunk Dahlia's ever been in her life. Scott and Kate were lighting off fireworks in the backyard, James jumped off of the diving board and into the pool in a full suit. It was nothing like any party she's ever been to with James. He's changed so much since she first met him, he's more playful, more honest, more himself. Their wedding reception felt like a bunch of rowdy teenagers having their first house party, but Dahlia wouldn't change a thing about it.