CHAPTER THIRTY-THREE: THE NICEST THING

CW: Double smut - hand jobs, spanking, dom!Bucky, discussions of sexual assault, spit kink, daddy kink, mentions of murder, and violence against women.

Things are about to get pretty crazy. I have no idea how many more chapters if this fic I have left, but we are into the final arc of it.

I wish that without me your heart would break
I wish that without me you'd be spending the rest of your nights awake
I wish that without me you couldn't eat
I wish I was the last thing on your mind before you went to sleep

Look, all I know is that you're the nicest thing I've ever seen
And I wish that we could see if we could be something
- Kate Nash, "The Nicest Thing"

BROOKLYN, NEW YORK, 2006

The day after his mother's funeral, James is packing his bags. Rebecca sits on his bed typing away on her laptop. She's trying to hack into some fucking bank while James is stuffing clothes into a suitcase when his phone rings.

"Hello?"

"Buck, I need you," Steve sobs.

"What?"

"I need you."

James's brow furrows together and he looks at Rebecca who can hear Steve on the other end of the line, wailing intensely. He's hyperventilating and sobbing.

"Stevie, talk to me. You have to calm down."

"There's so much blood, Buck."

James looks up and Rebecca shuts her laptop.

"Where are you?" James asks.

"Are you fucking crazy?!" Rebecca hisses.

James sticks out his hand to get her to stop talking.

"I'm in the parking garage across campus. Please, Buck. I need you. I don't know what else to do. You're—" he hiccups on the other end. "You're all I have."

James shuts his eyes, already having a sinking feeling about what he's about to find when he gets to that parking garage.

"I'll be right there. Gimme ten minutes."

"Okay."

James hangs up and looks at Rebecca.

"You know he's crazy, right? The girlfriends, the stalking, the fights... It's fucking unstable, James."

"Yeah, and if I don't do what he wants then I'm screwed. I'm his best friend."

"You're an idiot."

"Yeah, and I have nobody else!" There are tears in his eyes that he blinks away.

Rebecca stands up and puts her arms around her twin brother.

"It's okay. I'll come with you."

"You can't," James whispers. "You can't see this."

"I'll wait a block away. You're going to need someone after this is over."

James nods.

"Okay."

"And then we're flying to Los Angeles to meet with the lawyers about mom's will. You leave Steve Rogers in the fucking dust if you have to, Jamie, but you cannot take him with you."

James nods, knowing he's not going to follow his sister's advice. He's going to take Steve with him, because if he doesn't, he's a dead man. Steve is unstable, and if James doesn't play this right, he's going to die. It's not just girlfriends he's obsessed with, it's anyone who gets close to him. Steve has to possess people. They're pawns and playthings to him. He wants power, he always has.