CHAPTER THIRTY-FIVE: IN THE WOODS SOMEWHERE

CW: Violence, stalking, car accidents, gun violence, predatory behaviour.

When my time comes around
Lay me gently in the cold dark earth
No grave can hold my body down
I'll crawl home to her
- Hozier, "Work Song"

James tells them everything. Everything. He doesn't leave a single detail out, because to do so threatens their lives. Steve is unstable, and reckless. He must know that everything is about to fall apart. Dahlia can hear James's phone buzzing, certain that it's Steve calling and texting. He's paranoid, thinks he's being found out.

James doesn't move a muscle, and doesn't even look at his phone as he speaks to Scott and Kate, who sit with their jaws hanging open. Dahlia can tell that he doesn't want to be saying these things, but it's a necessity at this point. In order to be protected, Scott and Kate need to now everything.

Now, Dahlia just has to tell Wanda once she's back from the ICU. The nurse knocked on the door at one point during James's confession and informed them that Wanda is being treated with Prussian Blue.

"She's going to be okay. You caught it in time."

They're the two most beautiful two sentences that Dahlia has ever heard.

Now, James and Dahlia sit facing Scott and Kate, holding hands and hoping things work out for the best.

"The mafia," Scott whispers. "You're in the mafia."

James nods.

"I fucking knew it!" Kate yelps. "I fucking knew you made all of that money too fast! There was something shady about your Forbes article—"

"Shh!" James hisses as Dahlia sighs softly. "If you attract attention—"

"Sorry," Kate whispers. "I'm sorry. This is just— there are so many rumors about you. How does the public not know this?"

"They know what they need to know. Besides, not many people care about a businessman's more private dealings."

"You killed the Chief of Police. You run LA, that's not exactly private," Kate replies with a stunned look on her face. Neither one of her friends can believe what's being said to them right now. Dahlia can tell that they're still trying to process this.

"And you knew," Scott says pointedly as he stares at Dahlia. "You knew about him—"

"Not at first," James whispers. "But eventually, I had to tell her. I didn't want to lose her. Dahlia is the most important thing to me, and... you, Kate, and Wanda are the most important things to her. So..."

"Now that shit's hit the fan you decided to tell us?" Kate asks. She's angry. Dahlia can tell. "The galas, the parties, that was all mafia stuff?"

"You assume it's a facade," James informs her. "They were real fundraisers, just like tomorrow night will be, but Sharon Carter knows about me, and my history."

Kate puts her head in her hands.

"This is fucked."

Scott blinks and chuckles.

"This is awesome. It's a lot, but it's awesome. So, are you like The Godfather or something?"

Kate lifts her head and smacks him in the shoulder.

"Scott!"

"What?! Our friend is going to marry the most powerful man in LA and you don't think that's cool?"

Kate rolls her eyes as James looks at his feet, his jaw clenched. Dahlia can tell that this is a less than ideal situation for him. Scott and Kate sit back in their chairs. Kate looks over at Rita and her face falls as she watches the ECG machine as it beeps steadily. Her brows knit together and Dahlia follows her eye line.