1934 : Purging the Storm

(June 12th, 1934)

~Anna's P.O.V~
"Ernst Rohm Töte". "Woah, wait what?" the headline news surprised me. The leader of the SA is dead? I read more in the article and it says that Rohm was killed during the purge. "Hey, Luke! Have you heard the news?" I asked if my brother was aware too. "Rohm's death, right? We killed him." His answer shocked me for a second.

Dad came storming in and asked, "What do you mean by "we", Lukas?". Luke nonchalantly answered that he and some of his comrades were ordered by the Reichsmarschall to take part in the Night of The Long Knives. The night where many political rivals of the Führer were wiped out to ensure his position and settling old scores. Ernst Rohm was in the list too.

Luke continued casually explaining the event and boasted how he was with the Führer upon arresting Ernst Rohm. "He was enjoying his time in his little bed and breakfast lodge, not knowing of our arrival and I still can see his surprised look when we stormed in." he enjoyed his play-by-play and described the gunshots were like sounds of satisfaction when you killed a pest.

Dad was definitely disgusted listening to Luke's detailed story and they were in a heated argument. Mom and I didn't dare to interfere or it would be a whole new problem. Since the Führer's rise of power, Luke and I were put in the SA because it has less requirements. I'm in charge as the Corrections Officer while Luke with his rank is in charge as a group leader. Babysitting prisoners is better than being jobless.

The shouting went quiet, dad and Luke must've done. Mom went to dad to calm him down and probably try to reason him out from Luke's new attitude. I think he's just relieved that the military is in control again. Personally, I'm indifferent to the propaganda and there are rules that I can follow but being corrupt is not one of it.

Also, when you swore an oath to the Führer, the least you can do is respect. Working as a Corrections Officer gave me access to documents of the prisoners but I have limited access on the higher ups. Though reading on various charges, I understand a bit of how of a madman the Führer is. Then again, bound to the oath... you're basically in his grasp.

Dinner was fine and dad decided not to argue back about Luke's involvement in the siege. Luke and I usually spend the rest of the evening in the music room. "You participating in a siege, killing our superior... must've been really fun." I sarcastically stroke up a conversation. "As much as I would love to do a coup... I rather not disappoint the Führer." Luke responded.

"Aww... Luke doesn't want me to babysit him in jail..." I stuck out my tongue at him. "Well, I don't mind you looking after me except in prison." He shot me a teasing smirk and I chuckled. He then pulled a stick of cigarette and lit it up. "Verdammten Scheisse, Luke!" I coughed while fanning away the smoke. "Could you not smoke at this time?" I grunted. Like his comrades, Luke developed a smoking habit. We often bicker about it even though he promised not to smoke too much. "Says the one who drinks...". "Hey, at least I didn't get drunk on the job!" though yes, I have a small habit of drinking as well.

He then agreed to smoke outside and we moved our conversation to the porch. "Can't believe father didn't want to know about my promotion." Luke huffed out the smoke and I giggled. I told him that dad will be glad to know about it. "With Rohm gone... wonder what's going to happen to me..." I wondered with a sigh.

"You're practically a part of the SS now." I looked at Luke. I admit I was jealous then an idea came, "That's it!" he gave me a confused look. "You can get me in too!" my eyes gleamed with excitement. "What?". "It's my biggest dream, Luke. You know that! You have to get me in." I begged. "Please."

"Alright, alright... I'll see what I can do." Luke gave his answer. "Thank you so much! You're the best!" I gave him a big hug despite the smoke was hitting my face. I really hope that he'll pull it off.

(the next day...)

~Luke's P.O.V~
The Führer gave a speech about the purge and the people was in great relieve of the death of Rohm along with other rivals of the party. Eighty-five men were killed though there might be hundreds more but the main numbers were the most important one. I imagine that Anna would go through massive piles of charge papers while watching over the prisoners. But it's not a big deal if exhaustion is not counted.

Soldiers who participated the purge were also getting promoted and that includes myself! Gaining the position as the Sergeant Major, it was already proven from my time in the Hitlerjugend and the SA that my competence as a group leader is no question for my high rank. I was also awarded the Death Head ring with the dagger upon welcoming me in the SS.

Mother and father attended the parade and I couldn't wait to tell them the news. "Oh, there he is..." Anna greeted me with her usual sarcasm. "Luke said that he has something to tell." Said Anna and mother asked what it is. "As from today, I'm a Sergeant Major in the SS!" I happily informed. Mother gave me a big hug and father was very proud of me while Anna gave a thumbs up.

"Why are you carrying that for?" father asked about the briefcase on my hand. I told him it's something I need to discuss with the Reichsführer. The three of them were stunned before wishing me luck. I went back and found Reichsführer Himmler. I greeted him with the salute, "Reichsführer Himmler.". "Ah, you must be Sergeant Major Freitag." He addressed me. "Congratulations on your promotion." And he congratulated me.

"Thank you, Herr Himmler. I'm very grateful." I really do appreciate it. "Oh, and may I speak with you in private? I have something to discuss." I asked for his permission. He allowed me and I followed him to his office. "What is it that you like to discuss?" Herr Himmler asked after taking a seat. "I'm certain that you know my sister.". "Yes, Officer Freitag. I've read all of her activity reports." He told me that there were no major issues with Anna's work ethics aside from the occasional disinterest.

I silently chuckled at the report and opened the briefcase. "If I may be blunt... my sister is very interested to join." I pulled out her papers and showed them to Herr Himmler. "I'm aware that she does not fully met the requirements but I suggest to dismiss it and instead to see by her performance." I can see the Reichsführer was questioning my statement while reading the papers. He then asked if I'm using my new position as an opportunity just to get my sister in.

"I'm merely giving a recommendation." I gave my reason. "What if I reject?". "Then I'm willing to leave." I boldly replied. I added that my sister and I joined the party together and might as well that we leave together if we must. "So, you are willing to abandon the cause as you have abandoned everything you believed in?". "Yes, Reichsführer." I firmly answered.

"My sister is just a small misunderstanding." I blurted out. I know that he'll do an extensive background check and that's fine by me. I put Anna's copies of my notes on the table. "And what is this?". "One more thing to prove my point, Herr Himmler." I vaguely answered. "Anything else you like to add, Sergeant Major?". "That will be all." I nodded.

He then permitted me to leave. "Thank you for your time, Reichsführer." I closed my briefcase and saluted, "Heil Hitler!". "Heil Hitler." Then left the office. I do really hope Anna is got accepted or I'll lose my job.

A.N : I forgot that Kristalnacht is in a different year from Night Of the Long Knives! XD got mixed up with the names again. Anyway, hope you guys enjoyed the chapter and I'll see you in the next one! RD out!! Boi!!!