1938 : What They Deserve

Trigger warning, guys! I've put in some sensitive things in the chapter and I tried my best to tone it down. If you guys are easily triggered then I suggest you to skip this chapter. If not then don't say that this warning never existed...

(Around late October to early November)

~Luke's P.O.V~
These last few weeks has been tense in the government. Even though there has been a law for some... people to refuse to be a part of the nation, many are still staying and blaming us for the trouble. If I have to put it into my sister's words... it's their fault for not listening. They had their chance to leave but now they lost it.

Speaking of Anna... she told me about this document she found last year. She told me that when she was cataloging the papers in the backroom and found the document just before the... incident. It was the Haavara Agreement I believe it was called. I asked what it was about and Anna asked back if I remember the boycott that I took part. Turns out it was a reprisal from the... stubborn neighbor community.

Anna said that the Führer did want to let them go in a nice way but they refused and caused trouble themselves. I asked my sister's opinion about all of it and she was pretty sour with it. It was understandable due to her experience back when we were younger but the agreement surprised her the most. I admit I was surprised too that I never expected that side of the Führer.

The SA is still active but it isn't as powerful when it was under Herr Röhm's reign. He was very open with his... taboo side and I sometimes wonder if it's alright for me to act the same way as well. I think it's best to keep it hidden. There has been raids lately by the brown shirts to the neighbor community. Many houses were breached and people arrested. I don't know how long it will keep up or when it will stop.

(November 9th)

It's the time of the year again... today is my birthday. Many of my subordinates along with Kirsch and Fischer wished me a happy birthday. So did Minister Goebbels and Reinhard but I don't think there will be any celebrations today.

During the meetings I attended, I heard a plan and it will be done tonight. Herr Lutze has prepared the necessary troops for the siege. He had ordered me to lead a small convoy of officers but luckily, Reinhard had intercepted the order and had it cancelled. He said that such orders I only answer from the Obergruppenführer and the Reichsminister. Also, from the Reichsführer to an extent.

"I appreciate the gesture, Obergruppenführer but it's unnecessary." I tried to dismiss him and he ordered me to follow him outside. "Sir." I clicked my heels and did as ordered. "What was that about?" I half whispered. "I'm doing you a favor, Sturmscharführer.". "A favor?" what was he talking about? Reinhard told me that he already got the convoy sorted out along with the group leader.

"No, what I meant was why did you say that?" I was referring to when before he ordered me out. I thought I had told him I didn't want any more close matters with the Reichsführer. "Look, I know what I said..." Reinhard looked at me in distraught. "Just... accept what I said about giving you a favor." He didn't want to discuss it any further. "I'll deal with this matter with the Reichsführer. You are dismissed.". "Very well, Obergruppenführer." I saluted and left.

I went to pick up Anna to spent the rest of the evening together. She bought me cake and gave me Minister Goebbels' gift for me. It was a lovely black trench coat. I couldn't be more thankful. "Would you tell the Minister my thanks?". "I'll definitely tell him." Anna smiled. "Happy birthday, Luke.". "Thanks, sis." I smiled back.

We were enjoying the evening then we heard a commotion outside. "Well, well..." said Anna while looking out the window. Seems that the raid has begun. "I guess you were right, Luke..." she continued. "Maybe you are destined to be a part of the party."