1940 : Cul de Sac

~Luke's P.O.V~
Since the invasion of Poland, we've been mobilizing to other neighboring countries such as Belgium and Netherlands. Anna had told me that the Netherlands are busy colonizing in the far east and the name of the country is apparently, the Dutch Indies. I suppose with that preemptive information the next invasion should be easy.

Knowing my sister, she didn't stop on just informing the Netherlands have their hands full with the Dutch Indies. I didn't really remember much back in history class but Anna paid much attention than I did that she literally gave me a history lesson that night and she did not like it when I don't pay attention.

So that night, I made a mental note that Netherlands have been colonizing Dutch Indies for almost three and a half centuries and according to Anna that if we invade Netherlands and they surrender, we're liberating the country. In my opinion, it's an easy way in for us to get all of those rare and precious resources.

Anyway, I'm on a briefing for the next invasion to France. Reinhard isn't a part of the invasion but I'm glad that he didn't give me any more "favors" that could've obstructed my efforts to climb up the ranks. The commanders here required experienced troops and as usual, Fischer and I are assigned. Fischer with the aerial assault while I lead one of the convoys on ground. I know that I should be in the naval warfare but as long as I'm still under Reinhard's orders... I'll do whatever he says.

"Hey, lieutenant..." Fischer called. I forgot to tell that Fischer and I are roommates in on of the barracks along with other subordinates. The place isn't pretty but it's clean and comfortable enough for our basic needs. "Yes?" I responded. "I don't think I'll ever get to fly off from Graf Zeppelin." Said Fischer. He sounded sad. "I wish I can be as bold as your sister..." he sighed.

"What do you mean?" I asked. Fischer then told me about the confrontation my sister had Reichsmarschall Göring two years ago. "Oh, right... that one." I recalled the event. "She was too excited to discuss about the training.". "And that's what I want so bad!" he half exasperated and I softly chuckled. "How can she do that, man?". "Anna is sometimes appointed as a secretary for the higher ups." I answered. "I think you can do it too." I looked at the mattress over my bed.

"What's that supposed to mean?" Fischer peeked over the side of his top bed. "I know that you're one of Herr Göring's top fighter pilots..." I suggested him to walk up to the Reichsmarschall and ask him about the pilot training on Graf Zeppelin. "I don't know, man... that's just too direct. Even for me." That was the first time I hear Fischer hesitate. I teased him for not being a boulder head for once and he told me to shut up. "It's not like I can just go up to his face like that."

Fischer then complained that's easy for me and my sister since both of us have special access but I just think that both of us are lucky. "Whatever, dude..." he huffed and went to sleep. I bid him goodnight before I go to sleep myself. When the date finally came, we marched through the forest in Belgium and made our way to the Low Country. It's cute that the French built the "impenetrable" Maginot Line to hold us back but how stupid they were to not think about that Belgium is just right up there.

Three days later, the Luftwaffe assisted with the aerial assault and I can imagine Fischer horsing around in his cockpit after raining the city. This invasion might take a while that the French defense is pretty determined to hold us back. I have my rifle with me with the dagger placed on the barrel and ready to charge.

"Keep charging! We can't falter now!" shouted one of the commanders and all of us screamed our battle cries while charging forward. We fired shots at the French soldiers that were obstructing the way and when I ran out of bullets, I took the bayonet off and sliced through.

Many bodies fell and blood splattered in front of me and the more I see it, the more I couldn't hear their screams. The whizzing bullets or even the tanks rolling through the street. I just kept charging forward without hesitation. I'll probably have another sleepless night after this even though I brought my sleeping pills with me. I didn't take them on the first days of the invasion but at least smoking helped me keeping my focus.

The invasion is almost reached a month and I don't know the French will surrender. We kept on charging and occupying places and not little of us had to shoot disobedient citizens. Again, everything went sound like a white noise and I don't know if someone was calling me or it was a siren but then I felt that I was thrown before everything went black. I think I accidentally ran through on one of our aerial bombs.

I don't know how long I was out and when I woke up, I was in the hospital. "Welcome back, Untersturmführer." It was that squirt that greeted me. "Seems that you finally got some sleep.". "Oh, it's you..." I never really caught his name and we sort of introduced ourselves, "Not surprising that you didn't remember my name but it's Joseph Mengele.". "Lukas Freitag and you already did mention my rank.".

"How long I was out?" I asked. Joseph told me that I've been asleep for few days and he added that he didn't have to administer additional anesthetics during my surgery. "Knocked out cold, huh? I guessed that I saved you a bottle and a syringe." I gave my comment. Joseph let out a chuckle and replied, "For a nightmare of a soldier, I'm surprised that you have a good sense of humor." How nice of him to say that.

"Also, thank you for prescribing me those pills." I didn't have the chance to thank him that. Joseph appreciated my gratitude and asked if the sleeping pills helped. I gave the same answer to Anna, "It helped me maintain my sleep so, I think it's good.". "That is good to hear." He gladly smiled. "Do you bring them with you?". "They should be in my pocket. I've been carrying them since the invasion started." I answered. "Good." He nodded.

We talked for a bit and he told me that he took anthropology as his focus on his medical studies. Joseph then asked about my education and I told him that I was in the Student Wing, giving him the impression that I'm fully a soldier from the start. "Politics has been intriguing me and I think you can say that it's my second reason." I added and he found it entertaining before excusing himself and left.

I carefully stood up that I won't open the sewn seams and looked at my bedside desk, 'Shell shards...' it was from an aerial bomb. I went to find a telephone and one of the nurses asked if I need any help. I told her that I'd like to make a call and she led me to the reception desk, "Right this way, Untersturmführer.". "Thank you.". When I got to the table, I told the receptionist that I would like to make a call and he passed me the receiver.

There was a voice at the other end and greeted me after I identified myself. "Would you pass the line to Administrator Freitag, please?" I requested. "Of course, sir. Please hold." I waited then I heard a click, "Korpsintendant Freitag." It was Anna's voice. "Hey, it's me." I greeted with a smile. "Luke! It's so good to hear from you!" I can tell that she was relieved.

"Are you alright? Where are you now?" I knew she'd ask that. "Unfortunately... I got hospitalized. Shell shards found their way to me." I informed. "But are you alright?" Anna asked again. I told her that I'm alright and the shards didn't get in too deep. "It was the shockwave that knocked me out and that squirt—-I mean doctor Mengele told me that I was out cold during the surgery.". "Still, that's concerning..." she replied with a flat tone. I let out an embarrassed chuckle as a response.

"How are you?" I asked her how she's doing and she told me that she has visited the nearly completed new concentration camp which will be open some time this year. I asked about her secretary duties and surprisingly, Anna told me that she hasn't been into many meetings lately. "Not even Rein's but Dr. Goebbels would always send me the notes just to keep me updated. As usual..." she added with a slight embarrassed chuckle. Well, that is her main directives.

Anna then asked when I will come back and I told her as soon as I'm discharged from hospital. "Tell me about France when you come back, okay?" she requested. "The view isn't pretty but I'll definitely tell you." I answered with a smile. "I'll let you continue your work. I'll see you later.". "See you later too, Luke. I'll wait for you to come back." We bid goodbye and I put back the receiver.

Few days later, one of the commanders awarded us and most of us were awarded the bronze and silver wound badge. I was awarded the bronze and I feel that this will be an interesting addition to show to my sister.

A.N : I'm back! As usual, I've been busy and hit a block on the 1940 to 1941 arc so I decided to cut them to two chapters each. I know that Pride Month already passed but I want to announce that Luke is a queer! I've been thinking about that for a long time and I can finally confirm it though it will be another long lore to explain it hehe... it's fun to make Luke interested in Joseph Mengele a.k.a The Angel of Death but if you know his story, you'll know that I'm just messing around here. (Please don't give me more shit just because of this...)

Anyways! Hope you guys enjoyed the chapter and I'll see you on the next one! RD out!! Boi!!!