31

"Have a heart that never hardens, and a temper that never tires, and a touch that never hurts."
Charles Dickens

It had been a few weeks since Logan's mother had dropped a bomb on her, giving her what one would assume to be plenty of time to consider it, and yet the blonde was no further along in her decision. In fact she was procrastinating about it so much that she hadn't spoken to Leo or Mel about it. She hadn't even spoken to Kevin about it, as far as she knew her brother didn't know anything.

Unluckily for Logan, her attempts at near-constant avoidance would come to a halt. But not a casual, cautious stop. More like a high speed, head-on collision.

"I've missed you." Kevin smiled.

It seemed strained. Logan noticed the difference before her brother uttered a word to her. His eyes were bloodshot, carrying bags darker than two black holes, he was paler and he swapped his usual iced tea with a lemon wedge for an extra large coffee. He looked like he hadn't slept for days, which he probably hadn't.

"I missed you too." Logan replied, sitting her own cup on the table between them. "What have you been up to lately? You've barely replied to texts."

That's ironic Kevin thought. He had been in regular contact with Mel and Leo but wasn't privy to any information about why Logan wasn't keeping any open lines of communication with them. He knew something happened, just not what.

"I've been studying. Exams are burying me." The younger Scott complained.

Logan chuckled. "I can see that."

It was a new look for Kevin - to be challenged academically. Growing up he was always smarter than the kids around him - even smarter than most of his teachers. Nothing dulls the mind quicker than boredom and Kevin hated to be bored.

Kevin, eager to dissuade any further teasing, switched the conversation. "So why have you been giving my favorite German's the cold shoulder?"

He quickly noted the panicked expression that flashed across his sister's face.

"What do you know about that? What did they tell you?"

"Nothing yet. Despite my best efforts they've remained silent." Kevin complained. "Though my faculties have been otherwise engaged."

Logan groaned. "You know I hate it when you speak like a middle aged man."

"I have been playing Sherlock Holmes in the background while I study. You know I despi—"

"Despise silence, yes I'm aware." Logan rolled her eyes. "Just say your brain has been focused on studying."

Logan immediately sensed the influence of the mastermind detective. In a world where he felt out of place, Sherlock was a character that made Kevin feel normal. While it was a comfort for her brother that she encouraged — she would do anything to make him feel normal and confident enough to always be himself — but she hated it right now. She wished her brother was less observant.

"You have something to tell me." Kevin said. It wasn't a question, it was a statement. He knew something was coming.

"Do I?"

Kevin rolled his eyes. He was supposed to be the evasive, secret-keeping teenager, not his sister who was a fully grown adult.

"Okay, then tell me why mom has been pestering you." Kevin stated. He enjoyed the alarmed expression on his sister's face.

"How do you know that?" Logan raised her voice. "Have you cloned my phone again?!"

"No. I learned my lesson last time, when you started sexting with Kelley." Kevin verbally gagged at the memory. He had indeed learned his lesson.