21

When the past circles back.

The humid, sticky atmosphere that had enveloped Seattle for the last few days had finally broke, and in its place was a light drizzle that felt like heaven when compared to the sluggish heat that those who lived, worked or simply visited the area had to endure recently.

It was no different for the US or Canada players, if smiles were anything to go by.

It was almost time for another rivalry to kick-off, a fixture that always managed to bring in an audience and even catch the attention of those who believed that women aren't 'even good at soccer'. And yet here they all were, sitting in their seats donned with patriotic colors and beverages in hand, eagerly awaiting the start of the game.

Everyone but Kevin. He was torn in half - he very much considered himself American, because he was, but he also loved and supported his sister - the sometimes Captain of the Canada team. So he wore a US jersey, and a Canada scarf, sitting in the the stadium where the US and Canada fans meet, and there he was confusing them all.

"Ready Captain?" Shelina asks, fixing the armband on Logan's bicep and patting her on the back.

"Yeah." Logan frowned, glancing at the band. "Can't believe Sinc is starting on the bench. This armband feels like it's weighing me down."

Laughing it off, Zadorski smiles, "After all that time in Germany, you still hate responsibility."

"Only a little." Logan admits. "I never took well to being thrown in the deep end."

"You better adapt and fast," Shelina nods her head down the line of Canada players to see the US team heading to line-up in the tunnel, led by Alex.

"Hey, that's a good look on you." Alex grins, pulling her Orlando Pride teammate in for a hug, before pinging the armband off the Canadian's arm.

"Told ya so." Shelina grins, greeting Alex also.

"I hate you both." Scott grumbles before turning to face the rest of her team lined up behind her. "Let's go troops!"

"Are we marching out too, or?"

"If that camera wasn't there I'd flip you off." Logan admits as she points at Jordyn who just laughs it off.

The officials lead the two teams out to a full stadium. The constant light rain leaves a slick surface in its wake. The defenders aren't happy about that but the attackers are definitely excited. It was sure to make for a great game.

In the stands Kevin sits calmly beside a hyperactive Jessica.

"I can't believe she's Captain again!" She beams. "Why aren't you more excited?!"

"You're excited enough for both of us." The younger Scott shrugs. He wouldn't admit it to Jessica - because he likes to annoy her - but he was ecstatic for his sister. If anyone deserved to be captain of her club and country it would be his sister. Logan did anything and everything for him, he knew that compassion and dedication easily transferred onto her teammates.

"I'm proud of you." Jessica suddenly says, but her eyes don't drift away from the field as Alex runs along the left flank, putting in a cross that's cleared away by Zardovski.

"Why?"

"You finally told Logan about you. In front of Kelley and Alex, too. That couldn't have been easy."

"It was unnerving." Kevin admits, taking a sip from his large soda. "But I wasn't too worried. She's gay so it would have been surprising if she didn't accept me."

"That's true. She's really fucking gay, she didn't even react." Jessica laughs while Kevin thinks back to that night, and Logan had called him to talk things over. She had 'a feeling', as she put it, but was regardless proud of her brother for telling her.