4

"Patience and time do more than force and rage."
- FONTAINE, Jean de la

Logan was confused. Confused about a lot of things actually. But mostly Kelley. And Sarah.

It wasn't that she was attracted to the barista, even though she was a beautiful woman, but she was happy to have a friend who didn't appear to know who she was, and didn't seem to have an ulterior motive. Logan was thrilled she could share part of herself with Sarah that she felt uncomfortable sharing with others.

Her literature-nerd, poetry-loving side. It's a side of herself that she never showed even the slightest of glimpses into, she refused to even acknowledge it.

Growing up she had two simple goals in life;

One - taking care of her brother, Kevin, while simultaneously avoiding her mother as much as humanly possible in a small trailer.

And two - focus on school and soccer, in order to get out of said small trailer.

She had focused so much on those tasks that she forgotten her own identity. She always put her brother first, and soccer second. Nothing else mattered to her because nothing else was important.

But now that she's not providing for her kid brother, she's not pushing herself over her limits to get out of the trailer, she finds her mind relaxed but lost.

She learned so much in Germany. The slower pace of living, the different culture, the language. Everything helped Logan to see a different side of life. She realized she didn't have to stress, she didn't have to worry about things that she simply couldn't change or control.

It was in fact her very own four year long rehab, all building her up and preparing her for her return to the States.

However, that rehab didn't prepare her for Sarah, for Kelley, for the immense anger she felt radiating off of Kelley. She figured she was to blame, at least partly. She also feels that Kelley should probably learn to control that side of herself better.

But here Logan was, sitting on her bed in the small but relaxing hotel room, overlooking the quiet streets that she used to drive through on her way to and from college, on the phone with the only woman she really trusts with advice, and the woman she knows has...plenty of spare time now - Hope.

"--And she just snapped, like I was trying to steal her girlfriend. I didn't even know Sarah had a girlfriend!"

"Okay."

"-Like I get why she can be mad, I didn't leave in the most...amicable way, but still. I'm not into her girlfriend!"

"Okay."

"--And for her to just storm up to me like I'm some little homewrecker, how fucking dare she! What was she doing in Seattle anyway!"

"Okay--"

"--Would you stop saying okay!" Logan finally snaps at Hope.

"I was waiting to you to get it all out. Are you done now? I'm guessing you want my advice, why else would you call me?"

"Very funny." Logan sighs. Her head drops and her shoulders sag, her body finally showing some sign of relaxation, even if it's in the form of giving up.

"Give her time, she'll get over it. She's been waiting four years to see you and as much as she'll deny it, she has been waiting. Logan, that was just four long years of bottled up emotion. Probably didn't help that she was too angry to think straight, she knows you, we all do. We all know you wouldn't do anything like that. And finally - she was in Seattle because her team is."

"She has a game?"

"Had. It was yesterday. They lost."

"That explains more..." Logan trails off before heaving a sigh. "Thanks, Hope. I'd probably lose my shit without you."

"Probably? I think definitely, but you're welcome, kid. You know I'll always answer your call."

"Like Batman?"

"No. He's a fictional man in a suit. If you see me in a latex suit you better take me to an institution."

"Aww c'mon. You'd look hot. Hotter than Batman, with his built-in muscle suit." Logan laughs, the first real laugh she's had in hours.

"Bet your ass I would. I gotta go walk the dogs, you good?"

"Yeah. I am. Thanks Hope."

Logan debates on stopping by the coffee shop. On one hand she was eager to avoid any fallout from the day before. Even the awkward apology stage. But on the other hand...she really, really needed a coffee.

"Fuck it." Logan sighed, opening the door and entering the small, quiet shop.
She usually loved that it was a quiet place. She could just relax, read a book, you know - like the typical ads on TV.

She was relieved when she didn't spot Sarah. The usual brunnette barista had been replaced by a tall, slender, fair skinned, blonde haired beauty. She smiled wide when she seen Logan, awaiting her order.
She wasn't talkative like Sarah, she didn't have that welcoming kind of aura around her. Maybe Logan was being superficial, but this barista seemed too hot to approach. Maybe it wasn't a shallow way of thinking, maybe she was just a nervouswreck of a woman when she's anywhere near anyone attractive.

The unnamed blonde brings Logan her order, lingering for just a second or two too long. She only leaves when Logan makes eye contact with her and smiles in thanks.
The nerves in Logans body dissipates as she watches the barista scurry away in fright, leaving the American/Canadian smirking to herself as she opens her book and begins where she left last. Maybe, just maybe, yesterday wasn't so bad.