22

Parent Trap

The next day, much to her refusal to meet with the man who so easily calls himself her father, Logan sat beside Kevin as the two stared at the man who decided to show up out of the blue. It was ironic, for Logan, being in his vicinity after moving back to the States after remembering the time she spoke of her runaway parent to Leo and Mel, and how Leonie always swore to be there if he showed up. It was bittersweet, Logan definitely wanted the German duo there.

The sun shone through the window of a out-of-the-way diner only someone from Seattle would really know about. Out of the line of sight of Logan and Kevin, and also out of earshot, sat Alex, Kelley and Jessica, all in 'cognito', hats and sunglasses galore. They definitely stood out more than blended in.

All three knew that if it wasn't for their father being there that Logan and Kevin would have spotted them immediately.

Beside the man was the same little girl from the day before, the one that was so enamored with Logan that the world seemed to stop. She was still wearing the same jersey as she clutched a small teddy bear in her arm, while coloring with her other hand. She clearly had no idea what was going on - much like the three spies who made it their mission to move to the booth behind the siblings without being seen. For Jessica it would be easy, but the two pros knew they needed to avoid the little girl.

"Why are you here?" Logan asks, tired of the silence and the unnerving stare of the man across from her and Kevin.

"Ella here loves soccer, I thought what better game to treat her to than--"

"How convenient." Logan cuts him off, grimacing at the confused and almost insulted look on the little girl's face. Her half-sister. She'll never get used to that.

Kelley, Alex and Jessica made it into the booth just in time to hear the quick retort from Logan, and exchanged uneasy glances. They quietly ordered coffee, hoping the siblings didn't hear any familiar voices, especially during the awkward silence between the family.

"Um, so how is your mother?" He asks rather innocently.

It was Kevin's turn to scoff. It would always be a sore subject for him, he had suffered the most from the chain of events that occurred after his 'dad' decided to leave the family. He could draw a straight line from his father's departure, to his mother's addiction, to his removal from the family home and while he knew his fostering and subsequent adoption was for the best, it still hurt.

"She's great, buzzed probably." Kevin states. He had no idea. He hadn't seen his biological mother in years, not since Logan put her in her place.

"What does that mean?"

"Like you care," Kevin mumbled. He was very aware of the younger girl's eyes on him, he was sure it was a clever ploy by his 'father', bring along a little kid in hopes neither of the kids you abandoned would cause a scene or at the very least raise their voices and cuss you out.

Logan herself was more concerned about Ella than it seemed her 'father' or Kevin were. She continually glanced at the young girl, who could easily be between five and seven years old, hoping to make sure the young girl wasn't uncomfortable or aware of the animosity between the siblings and their father. She could look at Ella and easily see Kevin, and it filled her with mixed emotions. Why was this new family more important than the one he abandoned.

"You got this?" Logan asked Kevin, the two sharing unspoken sentences which made their father uncomfortable, and when Kevin nodded Logan turned her attention to Ella.

"Hey, Ella?" Logan spoke, gaining the attention of the child who smiled. "Wanna get a milkshake?" The eldest Scott watched as Ella turned to her father, asking for permission but he seemed unsure. "We'll be right over there," Logan shoved a thumb over her shoulder behind her.