24 ━ The Escort

twenty-four, The Escort 

IN THE MORNING, Team Kushina departed together on a B-Rank mission. With two Chuunin and one Genin, they were able to take on a mission to escort a higher up from the outskirts of a distant village all the way back to Konoha.

The sun shone brightly in the clear blue sky, birds chirping in perfect harmony. Long behind them were the gates to Konoha, a soft dirt path showing them a potential way home. Each of them had packed lightly, prepared for a few days on the road at most, not more. The backpacks they carried were neither heavy nor light, an adequate weight for Shinobi to be subjected under. An ideal start to a mission.

"Sensei, do you we really will be away for two days?" Chihiro had begun to walk beside the woman, peering up at her.

"Hmm," Kushina thought for a moment, placing her finger on her chin as she did so. "Most likely."

Chihiro took on a dejected expression. "Oh, I see."

Kushina turned towards him, inspecting his emotions intently. "Is there something you need to do?"

"My little sister graduates academy by then. I promised to be there for her and I never break my promises."

"Then we will make sure you will be there. We don't want your little sister to be disappointed, y'know!"

He smiled at his sensei, grateful. "Thank you, sensei."

Kushina let out a delighted chuckle. "No promises though."

Izumi hurried to catch up with the two, interested in their topic of conversation. "Cho is already graduating? Your parents must be over the moon with you participating in the Chuunin exams again soon."

Chihiro blushed slightly. "Yes, they are very proud of us."

"This time around you can totally do it, Chiro." said Izumi, smiling at him in encouragement.

"I hope so."

"I know you can."

Sen let out a laugh, joining her teammates' sides. "Yeah, Chihiro, crush them mercilessly."