41 ━ The Reality of Things

forty-one, The Reality of Things

EVER SINCE THE NINE-TAILS HAD WRECKED HAVOC IN KONOHA, Yamanaka Izumi had been stuck inside the hospital walls. And she absolutely hated that.

If she was entirely honest with herself, she loathed almost everything at the moment. Over the course of her stay, her mood had gloomed to a point where a blanket of it seemed to surround her, no positive emotion worming its way near her. For the first time in so long, Izumi felt entirely hopeless, every ounce of energy sucked out of her.

'A shell of herself'. It was what her parents had explained to her aunt and uncle when they had come to visit, bouquets of flowers in hand to cheer her up.

Even with their frequent visits, the days only seemed to drag on, never coming to a conclusion she could look forward to. Upon the bedside desk, small mountains of books and scrolls stood perched carefully. It was the one thing she had requested, the one thing she had yearned for: information.

Gathering information about jutsu one day useful to her made Izumi feel safer, less trapped inside a situation she is unable to change.

Her legs felt as though any moment they might fall off, and so did her other limbs. While her hand had been fully healed shortly after her admission to the hospital, getting back to using it properly again had taken its time and was not as easy as she would have wished for it to be.

At the moment, nothing appeared easy to Izumi. More so than ever, everything was a challenge, a challenge she could barely overcome. It left her feeling hopeless and her focus strained, only the information she gathered uplifting her spirits somewhat.

Yet, Izumi couldn't help but wonder how her life would continue as soon as she was allowed to leave the hospital. Would she continue being an active Shinobi, a Jounin of the Barrier Team, or would she close that door of her life, ready to open another?

Being an active Shinobi was a double-edged blade.

If completely honest with herself, Izumi was more a lover than a fighter at heart. As she had once told Minato, she does not enjoy close fighting, not at all. Close combat was something she indulged in only if necessary or during her training sessions with Kakashi. Though even after years, she found herself struggling with taijutsu, leaning more toward the usage of ninjutsu.