45 ━ Only Fools Fall in Love

forty-five, Only Fools Fall in Love

AS DURING MANY MORNINGS, Kakashi found himself standing at the KIA stone with a heavy heart, his hands stuffed into his pockets as he stood with the slightest slouch. Underneath his mask, he pressed his lips into a straight line, and his eyes remained unmoving once they wandered away from the fresh bouquet laying at his feet.

The flowers chosen for him by Izumi held many meanings he could not all recall, but that did not mean that the significance of the flowers went past his head. Several zinnia flowers, roses in pale pink, white lilies, and a single chrysanthemum in the middle, all tied together with his message of mourning laid across the graves of his two teammates. The flowers he brought by, the ones he purchased, held a meaning beyond the grave, one that portrayed his shift in character and the importance of said people in his life.

They were more than just flowers. When he found himself standing at the memorial stones of his friends, the flowers were a reminder of his change and who he had become. Once he had been someone who put the mission above his team, but now he valued his team above the mission. For Kakashi, the flowers he bought specifically for those he let down in the past signified his change into his current persona, someone spurred on by Obito's nindō.

"In the Ninja World, those who break the rules are scum, that's true...but those who abandon their friends are worse than scum!"

Over time, Kakashi had come to realize, that there were several things Obito had not been wrong about. While he had often gone ahead and made ill-intended comments toward the raven-haired Uchiha, the latter's habits and thoughts now made more sense than they did years ago.

Besides Obito's dedication to his comrades, there was something else Kakashi had now learned to understand. It was ironic, or so he thought, how he now mirrored the dedication the Uchiha once held for their other teammate.

Kakashi let out a sigh. "I never understood why you acted like you did with Rin. Now I think I do," Missions had given him enough time to properly reflect on his feelings. Whether that was a good or bad thing, he was not sure yet. "Took me long enough, I know. But now I do."