29 ━ What Friends Do

twenty-nine, What Friends Do

"I WANT US TO PROMISE EACH OTHER SOMETHING," Chihiro looked at his teammates seriously. "If anyone of us gets hurt, we will be there for each other."

Their regular training had just ended, leaving the three members of Team Eleven to sit on the grass by each other's side as they always did.

"Of course we will." promised Izumi.

Sen tilted her head as she looked at him. "Chihiro, you good?"

He shooked his head. "Since what happened with Obito, I've been worried and thinking about ... the worst case."

Izumi gasped at his revelation, his heart feeling heavy. "Oh, Chiro, you have been thinking about that for so long. Why didn't you share your thoughts earlier?" Her mind wandered to Kakashi for a moment, but she pushed the thought aside, focusing on the friend in front of her.

"I'm not sure. I just want us to promise this." He held out his hand, it trembled. On his face he wore a look of bravery, eyes gleaming with determination.

The brunette of the team leaned forward, resting her own hand on her teammates. "I promise."

Sen followed shortly after, nodding at both of her teammates before adding her hand to the bunch. "I also promise."

For a moment they stayed in the position, hands placed atop each other, gazes meeting. Cerulean, emerald, and raven, all meeting. As a team, they knew that sticking together would be their priority, not the mission. It was a thought all three of them could easily agree on, fear of potential abandonment settled into their bones. It was an easy thing to promise, to be there for each other, to do for someone what they wanted to be done for them. Speaking the idea aloud though made it much more serious, allowing the reality and gravity of their situation to settle in. A seriousness Team Eleven was not used to with their usual lightheartedness. Sen was the first not to be able to bear the atmosphere.

She pulled her hand away from the bunch, focusing on the target of her teasing in order to break the uncomfortable air. "We especially need to make sure Izumi will return under any circumstance."