Battle for Supreme Lordship of the Bathroom

____________________

I had easily gotten over the fact that the Latin teacher, Mr. Brunner, was in fact the Centaur Chiron by time he began the tour of the place. 

Percy was clearly trying his hardest to stay out from behind him. I only knew that because of how often I've glanced back at Chiron's lower half.

I'm sorry but having gotten used to him in a wheelchair made seeing him with a literal horse ass a bit harder to get used to.

We passed the volleyball pit. 

Several of the campers nudged each other. One pointed to the minotaur horn I had Percy hold on to.

Most of the campers were older than us. Their satyr friends were bigger than Grover, all of them trotting around in orange 'CAMP HALF-BLOOD' T-shirts, with nothing else to cover their bare shaggy legs. 

It feels weird with all their staring.

Normally, I'm used to monsters staring at me, either in hunger or in terror. But the way the other kids were staring was as if they were expecting one of us to turn into a giant or something.

"What's up there?," Percy asked Chiron while pointing back at the farmhouse.

I looked towards where he was pointing then to Chiron to see the smile on his face fade completely.

"Just the attic," he said.

I asked him, "And someone lives up there?"

"No," he said with finality, "Not a single living thing."

Single 'Living' thing?

So something exists up there but it's dead? Undead?

"Come along, boys," Chiron said, his lighthearted tone now a little forced, "Lots to see."

We walked through the strawberry fields, where campers were picking bushels of berries while a Satyr played a tune on a reed pipe. 

Chiron told us the camp grew a nice crop for export to New York restaurants and Mount Olympus.

"It pays our expenses," he explained, "And the strawberries take almost no effort." 

He said Mr. D had this effect on fruit-bearing plants.

It obviously worked best with wine grapes, but Mr. D was restricted from growing those, so they grew strawberries instead. 

I watched the Satyr playing his pipe. His music was causing lines of bugs to leave the strawberry patch in every direction, like refugees fleeing a fire.

Never really understood how that worked.

Percy suddenly asked, "Grover won't get in too much trouble, will he? I mean.. he was a good protector. Really."

Chiron sighed shedding his tweed jacket and draping it over his horses back like a saddle, "Grover has big dreams, Percy. Perhaps bigger than are reasonable. To reach his goal, he must first demonstrate great courage by succeeding as a keeper, finding a new camper and bringing him safely to Half-Blood Hill."

"But he did that!"

"With not just one, but two campers," I added.

"I might agree with you two," Chiron said, "But it is not my place to judge. Dionysus and the Council of Cloven Elders must decide. I'm afraid they might not see this assignment as a success. After all, Grover lost the both of you in New York. Then there's the unfortunate.. ah... fate of Percy's mother. And the fact that Grover was unconscious when you dragged him and Percy over the property line. The council might question whether this shows any courage on Grover's part."