The Fear In The Eyes Of A Goddess

____________________

Whatever monster he was, Dr. Thorn was fast.

Strength-wise, I know I beat him, but speed isn't one of my strong suits. Am I faster than a majority of demigods? Sure, but doesn't exactly matter right now.

I know I could defend myself. I also know that Percy would most likely be able to as well, thanks to the retractable shield in the form of a wrist-watch Tyson had given him before he went off to the forges.

But then there's the di Angelo kids.

There's a 97% chance that Dr. Thorn would get to them before either Percy or I could do a thing.

The only thing I could think of at the moment, was to play along.

But then Percy closed his eyes as we walked.

"What are you doing, Jackson?" hissed Dr. Thorn, "Keep moving!"

Percy opened his eyes and kept shuffling forward, "It's my shoulder," he lied, trying to sound miserable miserably, which he slightly managed to pull off, "It burns."

"Bah! My poison causes pain. It will not kill you. Walk!"

Thorn herded us outside, and that's when I remembered that Percy and Grover had this weird link between them. What did he call it? Oh, an Empathy Link.

I don't know what the fuck it is but that was apparently how he had gotten those dreams of Grover when he was held captive by Polyphemus.

Percy looked like he was focusing hard on it as we walked.

Thorn inarched us into the woods. We took a snowy path dimly lit by old-fashioned lamplights. My shoulder ached at the wind that hit it. The cold made it feel better though.

"There is a clearing ahead," Thorn said, "We will summon your ride."

"What ride?" Bianca demanded, "Where are you taking us?"

"Silence, you insufferable girl!"

"Don't talk to my sister that way," Nico said, his voice quivering despite saying it.

I don't know much about this kid, but I already respect him. 

Dr. Thorn made a growling sound that I actually hadn't heard before.

"Halt," Thorn said.

The woods had opened up. We'd reached a cliff overlooking the sea. I could hear the waves churning and I could smell the cold salty froth. But all I could see was mist and darkness.

Dr. Thorn pushed us toward the edge.

"What is he?" Bianca whispered now inches from us, "How do we fight him?"

"I'm working on it," Percy said.

"Well, work faster," I tell him.

"I'm scared," Nico mumbled. He was fiddling with something—a little metal toy soldier of some kind.

"Stop talking!" Dr. Thorn said, "Face me!" 

We all turned.

Thorn's two-tone eyes glittered hungrily.

He pulled something from under his coat. At first I thought it was a weapon, but it was only a phone. He pressed the side button and said, "The package—it is ready to deliver." 

There was a garbled reply, and I realized Thorn was in walkie-talkie mode. This seemed way too modern and creepy—a monster using a mobile phone.

As I stared at him, attempting to make out what the other side was saying, Percy glanced behind us off the edge.